Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
Parkside Building Campus
On our BA (Hons) Photography course will develop a creative, professional identity and signature style by combining technique, theory and ethical practice with experimentation.
You will explore contemporary photographic practice, including documentary, moving image, landscape, portrait and fine art photography, gaining a rounded knowledge of these varied and exciting disciplines.
Collaboration with other disciplines is encouraged, developing new ideas and connections with subjects such as graphic communication and film and animation. The course will show you how creative, documentary and arts-based photographers can become commercially successful in diverse careers from galleries and publishing to advertising campaigns.
WHY CHOOSE US?
- You will have access to a wide range of industry standard facilities and equipment that will help you express your creativity.
- You will be taught vital employability skills and encouraged to develop your professional network while studying, as a springboard for your future career.
- The School of Visual Communication prides itself on a long established national and international reputation for inter-disciplinary practice. All our courses celebrate innovation and allow you to realise your creative ambitions.
WHAT'S COVERED IN THIS COURSE?
You will learn through practice, by developing confidence as a contemporary photographer. Your learning will be informed by developing a deeper understanding of current photographic practice, from commercial briefs, to publishing, exhibiting, editorial and photojournalism.
You will learn from award-winning staff with international reputations and a wealth of industry experience, having worked for clients such as: the BBC, the Brit Awards, British Telecom, Channel 4, The New Yorker, The Guardian, The Sunday Times Magazine, The Daily Telegraph, The Independent, Marie Claire, Condé Nast, Studio Wayne McGregor, Microsoft, Save the Children, Oxfam, The Red Cross, NHS, the Royal Society of Arts, Tate Britain, Lancôme, Chanel Beaute, London Fashion Week and the Royal Opera House.
This course supports fully self-directed study and the development of individual practice. There are opportunities for field trips and study abroad that will add value to the degree course.
Throughout your course you will be encouraged to take on placements, and network with industry. Our students have taken on numerous exciting and challenging placements with organisations such as Tatler magazine, Free Radio, and Birmingham City Council. Birmingham has illustrious and vibrant creative industries and as a school we have many industry connections. We will encourage you to actively seek work, helping you to develop your professional skills.
Enhancing employability skills
The BA (Hons) Photography course at Birmingham City University is designed to furnish you with both creative and employability skills, thoroughly preparing you for your future career.
The course itself contains employability sessions, around topics such as self-promotion, designing your CV and approaching employers as well as the day to day knowledge required to be a creative practitioner.
We are fully supported by the Faculty’s Careers+ team, who have direct input into the course and offer a range of opportunities, workshops and advice to all students.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 13,200per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Extended Project
- HNC (BTEC)
- HND (BTEC)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma
- Pearson BTEC 90-Credit Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Certificate (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Extended Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (QCF)
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
A level : BBC
A maximum of 4 subjects are considered. These can be other A/S Levels (as long in a different subject) A-Levels or Level 3 equivalents.VIEW MORE
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
Birmingham City University, University House, 15 Bartholomew Row, Birmingham, Birmingham, B5 5JU, England
78th out of 103 6
Entry standards/ Max 196125 66%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10052.0 52%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.93 79%