MSc - Master of Science
Run at the client site in the region of United Kingdom
Distance / Online
Our online Population Health Sciences programme will provide you with all the benefits of our core Public Health programme, but with an emphasis on statistical, rather than clinically focused, content. Through a broader public health focus, this MSc explores the multiple determinants of health outcomes and their impact on the population. The programme seeks to combine contemporary and emerging issues in Population Health with advances in health informatics and big data to provide relevant, informed and transformative knowledge that will enable our graduates to make a difference to population health at a local, national and global level. This is your opportunity to understand how the physical and social environment, individual behaviour, distribution of resources, investment and genetics have an impact on health status and inequalities in populations over time.
WHY THIS PROGRAMME
- Due to the interdisciplinary nature of Population Health Science, you will be able to study a broad range of core and optional courses such as Advanced Statistics, Health Economics, Principles of Population Health, Advanced Epidemiology, Data Science, Communicable Diseases and Health Promotion.
- Our online programme allows you to choose a route of study to match your interests or career goals.
- The programme is delivered by staff from the Institute of Health and Wellbeing who are world leaders in their field. The team conducts high-impact and pioneering research into evaluating, developing and informing population health interventions such as the Scottish smoking ban and Scotland's alcohol strategy.
- The role of this online Population Health Sciences masters is to measure, quantify and describe the health status and health inequalities of populations. This is done by gaining an understanding of the interactions of the physical and social environment, individual behaviour, resource allocation, investment and genetics over the life course and through time.
- Studying these areas effectively requires a range of approaches and techniques that link determinants to outcomes. Ultimately, this allows for the identification and refining of novel population health interventions that are grounded in best practice and are cost-effective.
- You'll also benefit from sharing interests and unique experiences with students from other health care programmes.
- Gain transferable skills to improve your communication, team working and independent research skills through developing a research portfolio of poster presentations, short report writing and data analyses designed to align with graduate attributes.
- Discuss contemporary and established issues in Population Health Science from a local, national and global perspective.
- Apply cutting edge research skills to inform Population Health policy and practice.
- Critically appraise, evaluate and inform complex interventions delivered at the local, national and population level.
- Develop original and creative responses to complex problems and issues.
- Evaluate techniques of data analysis and synthesis.
- Appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of competing and complementary research designs and critique their role in informing population health science research.
- Recognise, appraise and critique the strength, weaknesses and opportunities presented by Big Data and its potential for informing population health science policy and practice.
The online MSc Population Health Sciences programme will give you the key skills you need to succeed in a career in public health, health services, health policy and academia.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 15,000overall cost
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Glasgow, The Fraser Building, 65 Hillhead Street, Glasgow, Glasgow, City Of, G12 8QQ, Scotland
10th out of 100 6
5th out of 105 4
Entry standards/ Max 240199 90%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10072.0 72%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.10 82%
Entry standards/ Max 212190 98%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10055.0 55%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.92 78%