Bachelor of Education (with Honours) - BEd (Hons)
Achieve your ambitions on one of the country’s top teacher training courses. We’ll work with you to ensure you become the best teacher you can be.
- Join a degree which has won national recognition for quality: we’ve received an ‘outstanding’ Ofsted rating
- Boost your career prospects: for the past three years, 100% of our BEd (Hons) Primary Education graduates have gone on to work or further study within six months of completing their degree
- Enjoy exciting school placements where you can develop your professional skills and enhance your employability
- Personalise your degree to match your interests by choosing from our range of curriculum enhancement pathways
- Learn from an experienced, lively and caring teaching team who are committed to your success: in the latest Newly Qualified Teacher Survey, our students rated their training as among the best in the country.
If you already know you’d like to become a primary teacher, this course is an excellent choice. It combines a highly regarded honours degree with the recommendation of the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) – so you’ll be able to go straight into your first teaching position when you graduate.
This course enjoys a strong reputation locally, nationally and internationally. Supported by a large partnership of quality assured primary, infant, junior, middle and special schools, you will undertake school-based as well as university-based training as stipulated by the National College (NCTL).
Our BEd (Hons) Primary Education with QTS degree aims to:
- Develop outstanding teachers within the primary age phase who are resilient, critical, and reflective classroom practitioners, and who have the confidence to challenge policy, practice and ways of teaching
- Equip you with advanced teaching and academic skills to support professional and transformative practice that is inclusive and sensitive to the learning needs of children to ensure good outcomes for all
- Foster an inquiry based approach to the understanding of methods of teaching, subject knowledge and skills
- Develop an understanding of inspirational and innovative classroom practice to motivate, challenge and empower learners
- Establish your personal and professional philosophy of education which will underpin practice
- Harness knowledge, skills and understanding to effectively lead, manage and work collaboratively with other professionals, agencies and the wider community to ensure the wellbeing and holistic development of all learners.
There are opportunities to personalise your degree to reflect your professional interests and career ambitions. At the start of your studies, you’ll gain a broad foundation of knowledge so that you can make more informed choices about the kind of teacher you want to become.
As the course progresses, you can then select curriculum enhancement pathways – possible choices may include English, Mathematics, Science and Computing, Humanities, SEND, Physical Activity and Creative Arts – and enjoy placements in alternative educational settings. In addition, you will conduct an Independent Study where you can research an area of your own interest in depth.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 14,045per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
University of Derby, Kedleston Road, Derby, Derby, DE22 1GB, England
45th out of 84 10
Entry standards/ Max 201118 57%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10068 68%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.24 85%