Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
Why is that phone handset that particular shape? How does that bagless vacuum cleaner work?
If you're creative, fascinated by the how and why of the objects you use every day, and get a kick out of solving problems, this BSc (Hons) Product Design and Innovation degree course will feed your curiosity and set you up for a career in creating and designing products.
You'll delve into the theories and methodologies you can use to create and improve the products we use. You'll unleash your creativity and bring your ideas to life in efficient and cost-effective ways.
You'll graduate from this degree course able to work in areas such as product design, design management, consultancy, engineering, marketing and graphic design.
This course is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) for Incorporated Engineer status (IEng).
This course is currently going through the process of re-accreditation with the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED).
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Use sophisticated computer software and rapid prototyping equipment to design new products and improve existing ones
- Learn the fundamentals of illustration, computer-aided illustration, computer-aided design (CAD) and manufacturing technology
- Have access to our 3D printing facilities
- Learn how to use professional software including Photoshop, AutoCad, Creo, and Keyshot
- Get the opportunity to put your new skills into practice on client projects through our links with professional organisations and design centres
Careers and opportunities
After the course, you'll be eligible for membership of the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED) and Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
What can you do with a Product Design and Innovation degree?
Armed with the expertise and knowledge you develop on this course, you'll be set for a career in fields such as:
- computer-aided design (CAD)
- product data management
- project management
- research and development
What jobs can you do with a Product Design and Innovation degree?
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- product design engineer
- CAD designer
- design manager
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 17,600per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
A level :
104-120 Tariff points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, to include two relevant subjects.VIEW MORE
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
67th out of 85 37
44th out of 92 23
Entry standards/ Max 239113 52%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10066 66%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.18 84%
Entry standards/ Max 200115 60%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10070 70%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.89 78%