MPH - Master of Public Health
The Master’s in Public Health programme is multi-disciplinary and trans-professional in both its content and the students it generally attracts. The MPH has been run successfully in Cardiff since 1989 and has a national and international reputation.
Delivered by leading experts in the broad field of public health, our Master of Public Health (MPH) programme provides a high quality, evidence based, multi-disciplinary learning experience.
A well-established and internationally renowned programme, the MPH develops public health professionals to become leaders in the protection and promotion of population and planetary health and wellbeing.
Applicants are encouraged to apply from a range of backgrounds, from medical and health professionals to analysts, computer and data scientists, engineers, architects, planners, environmental health officers, journalists, lawyers, economists, innovators, entrepreneurs and business professionals. This represents the interdisciplinary nature of public health research and practice, in line with the World Health Organisation Health In All Policies approach.
The course aims to provide you with the knowledge to:
- Quantitatively and qualitatively assess the population’s health and health needs, including the determinants and status of health and well-being and development of effective action
- Critically evaluate the evidence relating to the effectiveness of health and healthcare interventions, programmes and services
- Reflect on theory and evidence, synthesising findings to promote the health of populations by influencing lifestyle and socio-economic, physical and cultural environment through methods of health promotion, including health education
- Synthesise contemporaneous evidence bases and key guidelines to protect the public’s health from communicable and environmental hazards
- Collect, generate, synthesise, appraise, analyse, interpret and communicate intelligence that measures the health status, risks, needs and health outcomes of defined populations
- Strategically develop, manage, and lead innovative and inter-sectoral solutions to tackle contemporary problems, such as global climate change, environmental pollution, antimicrobial resistance, obesity and non-communicable diseases.
- The MPH is a required course for public health trainees in Wales preparing for the examination for membership of the Faculty of Public Health.
- Course content fits closely with the syllabus of the UK Faculty of Public Health Membership examination. A long-running programme with a national and international reputation, the curriculum takes account of the changing nature of public health practice globally.
- Our public health case study workshops give you an opportunity to reflect on your learning to tackle a range of scenarios. We focus on contemporary issues that can be as far-ranging as planetary health, antimicrobial resistance, mental health, lifestyle-related non-communicable diseases, to Big Data, the Internet of Things, artificial intelligence, machine learning, blockchain and digital health.
- Uniquely, Cardiff University’s position in the heart of the Welsh capital provides students with access to a full range of public bodies including the Welsh Assembly Government, NHS Trusts and Public Health Wales.
- Our collaboration with Public Health Wales offers opportunities to join the Health Intelligence Team and participate in real-world public health investigations and applied research.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Cardiff University, PO Box 921, Cardiff, Cardiff, CF10 3XQ, Wales
14th out of 57 4
18th out of 35 3
Entry standards/ Max 241145 65%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10094 94%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.98 80%
Entry standards/ Max 239197 81%
Graduate prospects/ Max 100100 100%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.00 80%