MSc - Master of Science
Distance / Online
Our MSc Real Estate and Planning provides the foundation, knowledge and skills needed to work as a development surveyor or planner. On completion, graduates will be able to work either in the public or private sectors, advising on the complexities of property development to occupiers, investors, developers and planning authorities.
It is designed to build understanding of the complex interactions and uncertainties of the development process. It provides students with the essential knowledge components of economics, valuation, planning, law, and regeneration and sustainability principles. It also develops an appreciation of the skills and tasks inherent in development projects, including community participation, satisfying the statutory planning considerations, undertaking the necessary financial appraisals, and achieving funding to make it happen.
The course is suitable for students with an interest in pursuing a career either as a chartered development surveyor or as a planner with a specialism in land and property markets. Such opportunities are available in a range of employers in the private and public sector, including local development and regeneration agencies.
Our graduates will be able to:
- draw on a wide perspective to offer a holistic approach to sustainable development
- be ready and eligible to undertake the Assessment of Professional Competence of both the RICS and RTPI
- demonstrate sophisticated intellectual and research skills proficient for a professional career
- evaluate complex problems and formulate solutions associated with planning and development issues
- appreciate the values, ethics, responsibilities, and rules governing professional membership of the RICS and RTPI, and the need for professional integrity when advising clients and the public
- have a respect for diversity and an appreciation of social inclusion as a goal of planning
- have an awareness of the role that values and attitudes play in managing change in the built environment
- have an interdisciplinary perspective that draws on the range of disciplines that contribute to the course and within the School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure & Society.
Flexible study options
This course can be studied via Online Learning, ideal for those in employment or with other commitments, providing flexible study options that fit around work or family.
Heriot-Watt’s School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure & Society is a leading education centre for planning and surveyor professionals in the UK.
The MSc has full recognition from the educational requirements of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) and has professional accreditation from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
With strong professional links and a focus on up-to-date industry-relevant content, our Real Estate courses equip graduates with the knowledge and skills to quickly and effectively contribute to the success of their working environment.
On completion of this course graduates will be able to have a comprehensive and integrated understanding of the property market context and the nature and theory of spatial planning and sustainable development. Our Real Estate and Planning graduates have gone on to work in a variety of roles in the private and public sectors, both in the UK and abroad.
We also have a proven track record in research, and a number of our graduates continue in research to complete PhD study.
Students will also achieve PGDip and PGCert awards in this course.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, Edinburgh, Edinburgh, City Of, EH14 4AS, Scotland
5th out of 25 4
Entry standards/ Max 204165 81%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10090 90%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.00 80%