PGCE - Postgraduate Certificate of Education
University of Huddersfield
If you’ve got an undergraduate degree and are striving to become a secondary school Religious Education teacher, then studying our Secondary Religious Education PGCE with QTS will help you on your way. You’ll develop your subject specialist knowledge alongside hands-on classroom experience.
Why Secondary Religious Education PGCE with QTS?
* The course is designed to emphasise practical engagement with the curriculum whilst developing your understanding of the theories which underpin the best models of practice. This means you'll be equipped with the knowledge and practical skills you'll need in the constantly changing world of secondary education.
* A significant amount of your learning will take place whilst on placement within one of our partnership schools. You’ll benefit from being able to observe experienced teachers, from practical hands-on experience and from mentoring to help you develop into an outstanding and successful teacher.
* There is an emphasis on practical engagement with the curriculum whilst developing your understanding of the theoretical perspectives which underpin the best models of practice.
* Upon successful completion of the course we’ll recommend Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), enabling you to start your first year of teaching (NQT year) within a secondary school setting. Our course is designed to prepare you to teach pupils in the 11-16 age range.
The course is a one year postgraduate certificate in secondary education. The programme is divided into two main themes:
Developing Religious Education Specialist Subject Knowledge
* You'll have the opportunity to develop your subject teaching in a stimulating way, using different methodologies and new technologies to inspire and engage young people. We'll help develop your understanding of the Religious Education curriculum; how learners make progress in Religious Education; planning and development in Religious Education and examination requirements and inclusion issues in Religious Education.
Supporting Learning and Progress in the Secondary School
* We'll prepare you for the classroom, allowing you to develop your own thinking, teaching skills and understanding of how to meet the needs of all learners. Themes include how young people learn; teaching and learning techniques to support pupils' progress; behaviour management; assessment; inclusive, creative and innovative teaching methods and how to plan lessons and sequences of lessons. You will research evidence based learning theories, gain a greater understanding of current professional issues in secondary schools and begin to develop your own educational philosophy.
Why study with us?
* You'll learn in small, friendly and supportive groups, designed to give you the confidence to succeed.
* We're 6th in the UK for Education in the Guardian University Guide 2020.
* We've been training teachers since 1947 and together with our partners we train over 1400 teachers each year.
* We work with 140 teaching placement providers to help prepare you for teaching in the real world.
* While you’re studying at Huddersfield, you’ll be able to access our extensive professional and academic network, not to mention our excellent facilities and specialist equipment.
* Two of the PGCE modules are at Master's level and there are many opportunities for further study with us, enabling you to continue your professional development after training to teach. These include our suite of Education Master's courses and research degrees, including Doctor of Education and Education PhD routes.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 14,500per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Huddersfield, Queensgate, Huddersfield, Kirklees, HD1 3DH, England
25th out of 81 5
Entry standards/ Max 201118 59%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10082 82%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.24 85%