Close icon

Personalise what you see on this page.

Choose from the options below. We'll show you information based on your current location as default.

I'M FROM

  • United States
Please select so we can show the most relevant content.

LIVING IN

  • United States
Please select so we can show the most relevant content.

LOOKING FOR

  • Undergraduate courses
Please select so we can show the most relevant content.

Change here for Clearing courses

Viewing as a student from United States living in United States interested in Undergraduate courses

You are looking at:

Courses starting in 2023

OK, GOT IT

Looking for Clearing information?

CHANGE

Sociology with Criminology BA (Hons)

York St John University

Add to favourites
UCAS CODE: LL33

Course options

  • Qualification

    Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)

  • Location

    York St John University

  • Study mode

    Full time

  • Start date

    18-SEP-23

  • Duration

    3 Years

Course summary

You will study the fundamentals of criminology and sociology, exploring key theories and learning how to apply them to the world we live in. Consider how crime and deviance are responded to by society and how it's portrayed by the media. Think and critique current inequalities in society and how crime, deviance and the criminal justice system impact them. Debate and analyse different perspectives to help shape a better society. On specialist modules you will learn the qualitative and quantitative research methods used by sociologists and start applying them to your own research. We will introduce you to different theoretical perspectives and, together with your peers, you will discuss how these can be used to analyse topics such as deviance, social inequalities, victimology, the criminal justice system and more. 75% of your modules will be sociological modules while the other 25% will be made up of Criminology modules, giving you the chance to gain knowledge in both areas. Our goal is to help you to develop your critical thinking skills, to back up your ideas with evidence and reason and to learn to design, plan and execute research that supports your interests. You will be supported throughout your degree by our team of academics who are all active in social research. This means the material you cover is the most relevant it can possibly be. Engage with them in seminars, workshops and one to one tutorials and let their expertise become yours.

Application deadline

25 January

Tuition fees

Students living in United States
(international fees)

£ 13,000per year

Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.

Entry requirements

Choose a qualification

UCAS Points : 104

VIEW MORE

University information

York St John University

  • University League Table

    103rd

  • Campus address

    York St John University, Lord Mayor's Walk, York, York, YO31 7EX, England

Subject rankings

  • Subject ranking

    86th out of 105 7

    83rd out of 117 2

  • Entry standards

    / Max 212
    105 49%

    86th

    6
  • Graduate prospects

    / Max 100
    48.0 48%

    59th

  • Student satisfaction

    / Max 5
    3.97 79%

    16th

    8
  • Entry standards

    / Max 216
    116 55%

    81st

    3
  • Graduate prospects

    / Max 100
    44.0 44%

    92nd

    4
  • Student satisfaction

    / Max 5
    3.95 79%

    27th

    16

Suggested courses

Kingston University
SIMILAR RANKING

Criminology (4 years full time including sandwich year) BSc (Hons)

Kingston University

Sociology league table

85
University of Southampton
MOST VIEWED

Criminology BSc (Hons)

University of Southampton

University league table

13

Is this page useful?

Yes No

Sorry about that...

HOW CAN WE IMPROVE IT?

SUBMIT

Thanks for your feedback!