Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
Parkside Building Campus
Our BA (Hons) Textile Design degree courses nurture fresh thinking and industry-ready creatives through a dynamic and carefully structured three year programme.
Our Embroidery option appeals to students who love to build onto and into surfaces, and enjoy working with diverse materials and threads. Drawing on the rich heritage of the subject, the focus during the course is on exploring the new possibilities with the materials and technologies that exist today. Alongside hand skills, including tambour beading and gold work, you become confident with using specialist digital embroidery software and equipment. Students often work onto surfaces they have printed, creating designs with rich surface qualities and dramatic compositions. Ideally suited to working within the luxury end of the market, there are a wide range of applications for embroidery including performance, illustration and visual merchandising.
Studying with us will provide you with the skills, insights and experiences required to succeed in a broad scope of professional textile related roles. Embroidery students secure placements with fashion and interior companies, design studios, designer makers, arts organisations, costume departments, stylists and trend agencies.
By the end of your degree you will have a clear vision of where you fit in the industry and a tailored professional portfolio to take with you. Our BA (Hons) Textile Design: Embroidery graduates are employed as Couture Embroidery Designers, Studio Designers, Designer Makers, Artists and Facilitators and Trend Forecasters. They also take up other roles where their material sensitivity, creativity and problem-solving is valued.
WHAT'S COVERED IN THIS COURSE?
The programme reflects the diversity of contemporary textile practice. We pride ourselves not only on the quality of our graduates, but also the diversity of their work. We want you to be you!
WHY CHOOSE US?
- Our experienced and award-winning lecturers have extensive and broad insights to share with you, gained from key roles in industry or their experience working as practitioners.
- Live briefs expose you to leaders in the design field and help you develop important collaborative skills.
- Module timescales are aligned with industry pace, to ensure our students are fully prepared to step into the world of work.
- We support you in entering key national competitions such as Texselect, the Bradford Textile Competition, Hand and Lock and iDott to get your CV looking sharp from the get-go.
Enhancing your employability
Our BA (Hons) Textile Design degree is designed to ensure you have the skills, vision and creativity to appeal to a range of employers.
With strong understanding and skills in traditional and digital design, you will become adept at a number of textile processes, including print, embroidery, weave and knit. You’ll also gain a clear vision of where you fit in the industry in order to build a strong personal and professional portfolio, using promotional and marketing skills you’ll be prepared to take to future job roles.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 13,200per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Extended Project
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- HNC (BTEC)
- HND (BTEC)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Leaving Certificate - Ordinary Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma
- Pearson BTEC 90-Credit Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Certificate (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Extended Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (QCF)
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
A level : BBC
A maximum of 4 subjects are considered. These can be other A/S Levels (as long in a different subject) A-Levels or Level 3 equivalents.VIEW MORE
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
Birmingham City University, University House, 15 Bartholomew Row, Birmingham, Birmingham, B5 5JU, England
45th out of 85 7
Entry standards/ Max 239125 57%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10060.0 60%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.92 78%