Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
If you're excited by a future filled with Virtual and Augmented Reality technology, this BSc (Hons) Virtual and Augmented Reality degree course is for you.
Designed to reflect the skills and discipline required to excel in the Virtual and Augmented Reality industries, this course lets you get your hands on the latest VR and AR technology and software, and build your knowledge, skills and portfolio at the same time.
The teaching on this course is closely aligned with the latest academic and industry research and discoveries too – so as Virtual and Augmented Reality technology evolves, we'll ensure that what you're learning is the always the latest and most relevant information.
And when you graduate, you'll have highly sought-after skills and provable experience in the field, and you'll be all set to take your first steps towards a fulfilling career in AR, VR or a related industry.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Learn using industry-standard software, including game engines and source development kits, ensuring that you have the ideal skillset to work in the industry
- Get the chance to contribute towards real research and development in the field of virtual and augmented reality in a variety of group projects
- Have the opportunity to enhance your learning through a salaried placement year
- Get your hands on the latest commercial peripherals, including the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, as well as hardware such Electroencephalograms (brainwave interfaces), heart monitor and facial recognition systems that are commonly used in VR/AR research
- Make use of our Virtual Reality Laboratory and Motion Capture Suite, as well as our open-access computer suites
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
The course is primarily intended to foster graduates with the unique skillset required to become developers in virtual and augmented reality. The University can also offer students significant ties to the industry.
What jobs can you do with a Virtual and Augmented Reality degree?
The skillset that this course will develop will enable our graduates to pursue various roles, including:
- virtual/augmented reality developer
- computer vision architect/engineer
- unity/unreal engine developer
- C++/C# developer
- interaction engineer
- VR/AR designer
- 3D artist
- 3D modeller
- AR/VR writer
- game developer/designer/programmer
- rendering software engineer
- sound designer
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 16,300per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
A level :
104-112 Tariff points to include a minimum of 2 A levels.VIEW MORE
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
49th out of 110 5
Entry standards/ Max 236113 47%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10087 87%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.03 81%