MSc - Master of Science
This course, which gives you the opportunity to undertake a year working in industry, will help you gain advanced level knowledge and key skills that will allow you to succeed in the rapidly growing wireless and microwave communication industry. You will also develop technical, intellectual and research skills that will enhance your general engineering competency and employability, providing you with an excellent platform for career development, whether that be within industry or academic research.
This industry-focussed course will give you the opportunity to:
- Develop your expertise in new and evolving areas of microwave engineering including mobile communications and medical applications of microwaves.
- Focus on areas including advanced computer aided design (CAD), measurement and characterisation and communication systems engineering.
- Cover laboratory work and advanced engineering management alongside modules in radio frequency engineering, advanced fabrication and test, advanced communication systems and non-linear RF design and concepts.
- Gain expertise in the areas of micro and nano-technology and optoelectronics.
- Enhance your practical and research skills by completing an industrial placement either with an industrial partner or suitable other organisation, which will comprise a significant research element and invaluable experience as an industry professional.
This industry-focussed course has a number of special features which include:
- The opportunity to learn in a research-led teaching institution, taught by staff in one of the highest ranked university units in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- The opportunity to work in modern facilities commensurate with a top-class research university.
- The opportunity for students to learn in an environment graded as Silver in the first TEF assessment, meaning that the University “consistently exceeds rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education”.
- The participation of research-active staff in programme design and delivery.
- MSc teaching complemented by guest lectures given by industrial professionals.
- An industrial placement which enables the programme to meet the Bologna requirements for a Master’s programme length of 2 years.
- Specialist academic support from your designated MSc Tutor during your programme.
- A research group atmosphere where students are able to enhance each other’s learning and become a vital part of our research community.
Upon graduation, you will have the training, advanced level skills and hands-on industrial experience you need to gain employment in this fast-growing field, and will have a distinct edge when applying for PhD studentships or employment in industry.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Cardiff University, PO Box 921, Cardiff, Cardiff, CF10 3XQ, Wales
5th out of 97
30th out of 72 3
Entry standards/ Max 190148 73%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10075 75%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.02 80%
Entry standards/ Max 241133 60%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10086 86%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.94 79%