University of Cumbria
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 3.99 / 5.00
- 2.13 / 4.00
- 0.08 / 1.00
- 65.5 / 100.0
- 61.2 / 100.0
- 84.1 / 100.0
The University of Cumbria is one of Britain's newest universities, but has a history of educating professionals going back over 150 years. Over 9,500 students study at campuses and sites in Carlisle, Ambleside in the Lake District, Lancaster, Workington, Barrow and London.
- General entry requirements are that you need to be able to demonstrate evidence of ability in written English (for some courses this is by achieving grade C or above at GCSE) and a minimum of two or three A levels depending on the course criteria.
- The university uses the UCAS tariff system. Detailed course-specific entry requirements can be found on the course pages of the website and prospectus.
- The university's friendly and experienced staff are on hand to via our dedicated course enquiry centre.
- There are lots of opportunities to visit the campuses, meet current students and course tutors and find out more about the admissions process.
- The National Student Survey 2015 showed an overall increase in satisfaction while the sector average has remained static since 2014.
- 17 of the university's subject areas achieved a 90% satisfaction rate or over from their students, with three subjects scoring 100%.
- A higher percentage of the university’s academic staff hold a teaching qualification than the sector benchmark figure.
Type of Qualification:
- The university specialises in employer-focused courses, offering a unique blend of academic excellence and practical experience. Many courses offer extensive and practical work-based experience.
- A number of courses are available part-time, by distance and blended learning, and incorporating sandwich placements. The university also offers a wide range of undergraduate courses with foundation entry.
- The leading Schools Direct delivery, with excellent partnerships, enables students to choose a route that offers largely school-based learning.
Student Services and Facilities
- All our campuses are within easy walking distance of bustling town centres and the wide cultural offering they provide including bars, shops, museums, galleries, nightlife, as well as being on the doorstep of some of the country, if not the world’s finest outdoor space – the Lake District National Park.
- Learning and eResources are accessible 24/7. Blackboard – the online learning environment where students and staff can collaborate on work from any location available 24/7, including via a smartphone app.
- On and off campus halls of residence, dining halls, bars and refreshment facilities, theatre at Brampton Road, Sports Centres and Gyms in Carlisle, Lancaster and Penrith, plus substantial discounts on local area facilities.
- Extensive library resources and IT suites, plus break out and touch down spaces.
- Excellent support service covering learning and study skills, finance, child care, disability and special needs.
- Additional support services are provided for disabled students, which includes students with learning difficulties (such as dyslexia) and some aspects of mental ill health with counselling support services.
- An individualised disability/SpLD action plan giving staff an overview of the impact of your disability/SpLD and detailing the adjustments that you require.
- For more information on the university's Disability and SpLD provisions and policies please see the website.
- The award-winning University of Cumbria Students’ Union (UCSU) is a student-led charity, representing the views and interests of its members.
- Its motto 'Supporting and representing you to achieve your ambitions,' is at the heart of every action it takes and decision they make – their role is to help every student make the most out of their university experience, with a strong focus on academic development and volunteering activities.
- UCSU and the university are joint signatories to a Students' Charter, putting SU engagement at the heart of university decision making.
- The SU offers a wide variety of societies and social groups to choose from, great for exploring new opportunities, developing a passion and of course making new friendships and generally having great fun.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Students can earn while they learn by applying for Student Ambassador roles with the university.
- The university's online Job Shop features local vacancies and placements suitable for studying students.
- The university offers a dedicated careers and employability service to support students throughout their studies and beyond into the world of work.
- The Career Ahead programme, developed by the university's professional careers advisers, helps students to identify any gaps in their skill sets, reflect on their experiences and provides opportunities to participate in exclusive programmes and mock interviews with employers.
8,789 students in 2015–16:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 80%
- Postgraduate 20%
Mode of study
- Full Time 67%
- Part Time 33%
Where students come from
- UK 97%
- EU 1%
- Other 1%
- Male 32%
- Female 68%
- The University of Cumbria is a perfect blend of old and new, as one of Britain's newest universities, with an illustrious history of educating professionals for more than 150 years.
- It was formed in 2007 from Cumbria Institute of the Arts, St Martin's College and the Cumbrian campus of UCLan.
- The university's academic strengths are in education, healthcare, science, business, sports, visual and performing arts, humanities, social science, law and criminology and outdoors.
- It specialises in employer-focused courses, offering a unique blend of academic excellence and practical experience.
- Over 9,500 students study at campuses and sites in Carlisle, Ambleside the Lake District, Lancaster, Barrow and London.
Keith Tyson – Turner Prize winner
Helen Skelton – TV presenter
Tom Hopkins-Gibson – artist
Bryan Dick – film and TV actor
Conrad Atkinson – internationally renowned artist.
|Address||University of Cumbria Fusehill Street Carlisle CA1 2HH|