University of Cumbria
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Cumbria is one of Britain's newest universities, but has a history of educating professionals for over 150 years. Over 9,500 students study at campuses and sites in Carlisle, Ambleside in the Lake District, Lancaster, Workington, Barrow and London.
UCAS Code: C99
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Bronze is awarded to institutions that deliver teaching, learning and outcomes for their students that meet "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 80%
- Postgraduate 20%
Mode of study
- Full Time 63%
- Part Time 37%
Where students come from
- UK 97%
- EU 2%
- Other 1%
- Male 38%
- Female 62%
Undergraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Student Services and Facilities
- Campus libraries support student learning by providing access to thousands of online resources and a range of areas for group work, quiet work and silent study.
- Resources include print and e-books, plus journals. Online sources give access to 340,000 e-books and over 210,000 print books, while 140 electronic resource collections include journal articles, reports, multimedia and more. A 'Get More Books' service allows students to recommend additions to the library.
- IT facilities include Internet connected PCs, wireless access, laptops and a range of media equipment to borrow.
- Students can earn while they learn by applying for Student Ambassador roles with the university.
- The university's online Job Shop features local vacancies and placements suitable for studying students.
- The university offers a dedicated careers and employability service to support students throughout their studies and beyond into the world of work.
- The Career Ahead programme, developed by the university's careers advisers, helps students identify any gaps in their skill sets, reflect on their experiences and provides opportunities to participate in exclusive programmes and mock interviews with employers.
- Counselling support services are available.
- Additional support services are provided for disabled students, including students with specific learning differences (SpLD) such as dyslexia, and some aspects of mental ill health.
- An individualised action plan is created, giving an overview of the impact of the student's disability/SpLD and detailing the adjustments required.
- Please refer to the university website for more information on disability and SpLD provisions and policies.
- The Students’ Union (UCSU) is a student-led charity, representing the views and interests of its members. With the university it is joint signatory to a Students' Charter, putting SU engagement at the heart of university decision-making.
- The union's motto 'Supporting and representing you to achieve your ambitions,' guides every decision made and action taken, to help students make the most of their university experience, with a strong focus on academic development and volunteering activities.
- The SU offers a wide variety of societies and social groups to choose from, great for exploring new opportunities, developing a passion and of course making new friendships and generally having great fun.
- The University of Cumbria is a perfect blend of old and new: one of Britain's newest universities, it has an illustrious history of educating professionals over the past 150 years.
- It was formed in 2007 from Cumbria Institute of the Arts, St Martin's College and the former Cumbrian campus of the University of Central Lancashire.
- The University of Cumbria is the only UK university with a campus within a National Park (now also a UNESCO World Heritage Site).
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
Keith Tyson – Turner Prize winner.
Helen Skelton – TV presenter.
Tom Hopkins-Gibson – artist.
Bryan Dick – film and TV actor.
Conrad Atkinson – internationally renowned artist.
University of Cumbria, Fusehill Street, Carlisle , CA1 2HH