De Montfort University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Campus and Crime Map
- DMU aims to provide university-sourced accommodation for all new full-time undergraduate who want it. Once students have firmly accepted their offer of a place at DMU they can book a room online, subject to availability and eligibility.
- DMU offers a range of high-standard accommodation for students, with 8 self-catering halls of residence offering a choice of mixed or same-gender flats, shared kitchen and laundry facilities, furnished bedrooms (some with en-suite facilities) and Internet access.
- The halls of residence are all within a few minutes’ walk of the campus.
- Plenty of privately-rented accommodation is also available close to the campus.
De Montfort University
|Number of university/college beds||2,556|
|Typical annual cost of university/college accommodation||£4,179–£5,120|
|Typical annual cost of private accommodation||£2,868–£4,276|
- City Population: 330,000
- Student Population: 30,000
- Leicester is a compact and friendly place, rich in green spaces. Students find the city ideally sized and its central location means that it attracts students from all over the UK.
- Student social life tends to be spread evenly all over the city centre. A strong ethnic diversity has contributed to a cosmopolitan and cultured atmosphere and the strength of the local economy recently has resulted in much new development.
- Life in the city is inexpensive, and the fresh food market, the largest outdoor market in Europe, helps stretch tight student budgets. Accommodation is still not too hard to find and the rents are among the lowest in the country.
- Leicester has miles of cycleways.
- There is a good cheap bus service and travel cards are available.
- Road links are good and Leicester is well served by the coach network.
- London is 93 miles away, and trains take 1 hour 10 minutes.
- The nearest airports are East Midlands (less than half an hour away) and Birmingham.
Culture and Nightlife
- Leicester is bursting with bars, clubs, pubs and restaurants. The city attracts big name bands, DJs and classical music performances. Jazz can be found at the Y Theatre and new bands can be found playing in the pubs. The Curve, Phoenix Square Digital Media Centre and De Montfort Hall are the big venues.
- The main visitor attractions are The New Walk Museum, Guildhall Museum, Jewry Wall Museum, Abbey Pumping Station, Newarke Houses Museum, National Space Centre and the University of Leicester Botanic Gardens. The Cinema de Lux, situated in the Highcross centre, has 12 screens.
- Leicester enjoys a number of annual festivals reflecting the city's cultural diversity, such as the Caribbean Carnival and the Diwali celebrations, reputed to be the biggest outside India. The annual Comedy Festival is held in the city each February.
- Leicester City Football Club, Leicestershire County Cricket Club and the Leicester Tigers Rugby Club are based here.
- For those wanting to take part in sport, there is a selection of sports and leisure centres, including swimming, tennis, rugby, golf and squash. Nearby Rutland Water is popular for a range of water sports.