University of Derby
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Derby has more than 1,700 students from 100 countries studying at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. Options for overseas students include experiencing student life in the UK by studying on campus; staying at home and completing a UK degree online; or studying at one of Derby's partner institutions overseas – students can then come to Derby to complete or continue their course.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
1,660 international students in 2016–17
Free airport pick-ups are available for new students from a number of UK airports on selected dates in September and January as part of the welcome and induction programme.
English Language Requirements
If English isn’t the student's first language they will need an English language qualification.
- For undergraduate courses: IELTS 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in all areas), or Pearson Test of Academic English: 56, or Cambridge English Scale: B2.
- For postgraduate courses: IELTS: 6.5 (with a minimum of 5.5 in all areas), or Pearson Test of Academic English: 60, or Cambridge English Scale: B2
- Other qualifications are also accepted, please refer to the university website.
- In order to meet new visa requirements, as well as having the overall IELTS grade (or equivalent) students must have an IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent) in all areas (speaking, listening, reading, writing).
Accommodation for International Students
- The university highly recommends that students book their accommodation before arriving in the UK.
- All international students who apply for accommodation by the specified deadline are guaranteed a room in halls of residence. After this date, if halls of residence are fully booked, the university will help students find suitable accommodation elsewhere.
- The halls of residence are all within walking distance of campus and a regular bus service is also available.
- Students do not have to move out of halls during the Christmas and Easter vacations.
- Free overnight food pack plus bed pack supplied for every international student.
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.