University of Derby
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Derby offers a wide range of postgraduate courses including masters degrees, postgraduate certificates, postgraduate diplomas, professional qualifications and research degrees such as MPhil and PhD. Renowned for the outstanding quality of its teaching and for its internationally recognised research community, it provides industry-relevant postgraduate qualifications, first-rate facilities and flexible access to support and guidance.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
3,400 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 33%
- Part Time 67%
- UK 89%
- EU 3%
- Other 7%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||20||325||340|
|Geography & Environmental Science||5||90||95|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||5||85||85|
|Librarianship & Information Management||5||40||40|
|Accounting & Finance||5||35||35|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||10||25||35|
|Art & Design||5||30||35|
|Communication & Media Studies||5||30||30|
|Agriculture & Forestry||0||20||20|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||5||15||15|
|Physics & Astronomy||0||10||10|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||0||5||5|
|Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering||5||5||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- University of Derby alumni are eligible to receive a 10% discount on their fees for postgraduate courses at Derby (terms and conditions apply); other support may be available.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- Postgraduate students can apply to live in the halls of residence, which are all within easy reach of university campuses.
- Accommodation options include a small complex of apartments, or being immersed in the full swing of student life by sharing with undergraduates in larger and more traditional halls of residence.