Advantages and Disadvantages – Why Choose Distance Learning?
The main advantage of distance learning is that it allows you to fit your learning around your work and home life.
- You can usually also set your own pace of study.
- It is your decision as to when and where you study.
- It doesn't matter where you live – you can gain a degree from anywhere in the world.
- As with a full-time degree, students may find that they gain useful, transferable skills, such as planning and research.
- A distance learning course often costs less than a full-time degree.
The downside is that you will not enjoy the conviviality of being on a campus and rubbing shoulders with fellow students on a daily basis.
- Loneliness and feelings of isolation should be avoided however by frequent online contact with tutors and taking part in virtual forums, virtual help groups and discussion rooms.
- Distance learning providers usually offer dedicated support to their online or distance learning students.
- You can study undergraduate, postgraduate and professional level courses via distance learning.
- Universities and colleges ensure that their distance learning programmes and qualifications are of the same high quality as campus-based programmes.
Next page: Entry Requirements, Applying and Fees