- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Durham University provides many options for postgraduate students to study: taught courses in specific subjects, with lectures, seminars or practical study; research degrees with expert academic supervision; or professional doctorates which combine taught modules with an extended research thesis. Most qualifications are available either full- or part-time.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
4,495 postgraduate students in 2017–18
Mode of study
- Full Time 75%
- Part Time 25%
- UK 47%
- EU 8%
- Other 45%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||80||685||765|
|Accounting & Finance||40||450||490|
|Theology & Religious Studies||125||75||200|
|Physics & Astronomy||150||10||155|
|Geography & Environmental Science||55||30||85|
|Classics & Ancient History||15||20||40|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||10||0||10|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||5||5||5|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||0||5||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Quick Guides to Postgraduate Tuition Fees and Finance
- Find and check tuition fees for specific courses on our Course Chooser.
- Get information about postgraduate loans and other funding available.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Durham Alumni can qualify for a 10% reduction in master's tuition fees costs.
- Nearly 100 scholarships of up to £3,000 are available for students meeting the specified criteria.
- Durham Doctoral Scheme provides support for university-funded PhD studentships.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- New postgraduate students who accept their academic offer and pay a booking fee by the specified deadline are guaranteed a single study bedroom in university managed accommodation.
- To maximise the chances of obtaining a room in their preferred college, the university strongly recommends that students apply and pay their booking fee as early as possible.