- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Durham University provides many options for postgraduate students to study: taught courses in specific subjects, with lectures, seminars or practical study; research degrees with expert academic supervision; or professional doctorates which combine taught modules with an extended research thesis. Most qualifications are available either full- or part-time.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
4,720 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 75%
- Part Time 25%
- UK 47%
- EU 8%
- Other 45%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||90||665||750|
|Accounting & Finance||50||605||655|
|Theology & Religious Studies||130||70||200|
|Physics & Astronomy||135||5||140|
|Geography & Environmental Science||65||35||100|
|Classics & Ancient History||10||20||30|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||15||0||15|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||5||10||10|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||0||5||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Durham Alumni can qualify for a 10% reduction in Masters tuition fees costs.
- Nearly 100 scholarships of up to £3000 are available for students meeting the specified criteria.
- Durham Doctoral Scheme provides support for university-funded PhD studentships.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- New postgraduate students who accept their academic offer and pay a booking fee by the specified deadline are guaranteed a single study bedroom in university managed accommodation.
- To maximise the chances of obtaining a room in their preferred college, the university strongly recommends that students apply and pay their booking fee as early as possible.