Edge Hill University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Edge Hill University hosts a diverse community of aspirational and inspirational students from across the world. The university offers a range of scholarships for international students, along with excellent pre-arrival and on-campus support from Edge Hill's International Office. Students who do not meet its English language entry requirements may be eligible for the university's six-week pre-sessional English language course, or the International Foundation Year.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
220 international students in 2017–18
- Weekly information emails are sent to students six weeks in advance of their arrival.
- International students can sign up in advance for the university's 'Global Friends' scheme and any trips or events during the orientation week.
- On specific dates, the university operates a free meet and greet service at nearby airport/train stations, providing free onward transportation.
- The international student orientation week includes tours, trips, information sessions and events.
English Language Requirements
- International Foundation year: IELTS overall score of 5.0, with no element below 4.0 (UKVI approved test only).
- Undergraduate: IELTS overall score of 6.0, with no element below 5.5, or equivalent.
- Postgraduate Taught: IELTS overall score of 6.5 with no element below 6.0, or equivalent.
- Postgraduate Research: IELTS overall score of 7.0, with no element below 6.5, or equivalent.
- Please refer to the university website for details of other acceptable English language tests.
Accommodation for International Students
- Edge Hill University guarantees on-campus accommodation to all international students, providing they apply by the advertised deadlines.
- Accommodation can be catered or self-catered, and en-suite facilities are also available. Wireless Internet is provided in all university accommodation.
- Female only accommodation is available.
- International students are placed throughout the accommodation on campus, depending on their choice of accommodation.
- Most accommodation contracts allow students to leave their belongings in their rooms over vacation periods, depending on the type of accommodation and contract signed by the student.
Bursaries and Scholarships
A selection of awards offered by the university are below; please refer to the university website for details, and for any country-specific scholarships.
- International Foundation Scholarship: £1,200 towards the tuition fees of the international foundation programme, awarded on the basis of academic merit. Students who progress onto a full undergraduate degree will receive a £3,975 scholarship towards the first year of their undergraduate tuition fees.
- Undergraduate Development Scholarship: £1,200 towards the first year tuition fees, awarded on the basis of academic merit.
- Postgraduate scholarships include the Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship of £3,800 towards the tuition fees of a postgraduate or MBA programme, awarded for academic merit; and a PhD Scholarship of £3,800 towards the tuition fees. An additional 20% discount will be applied for alumni of Edge Hill.
- International Achievement Scholarship: £2,000 toward the next year’s tuition fees, for current international students achieving 70% and above.
- International students are encouraged to visit the International Office for any general help and support including opening a bank account, visa and immigration advice, travel information and more.
- Free trips and social activities are organised every month and the global friends scheme is a great way to make a friend on campus before and during a student's course.
- International students can also access the university’s health and well-being service.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.