The University of Edinburgh
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Edinburgh is home to students from over 150 nationalities; over 40% of the student body is from outside the UK. Students are guided through the transition from their home country to life in the UK through a programme of orientation and year-round social activities. The historic city of Edinburgh is a sophisticated and beautiful European capital with a diverse, multicultural community; large enough to offer something for everyone but small enough to feel like home.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
This institution did not take part in the TEF. Participation is voluntary. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
12,105 international students in 2017–18
- The university’s Student Immigration Service provides immigration advice to all non-UK students, both before and during their studies at the university.
- The Global Community team meets new students arriving at Edinburgh Airport at the main arrival point(s) in September each year.
- Welcome week activities and an International Day event help to orientate students around the practical challenges of their first few weeks. Pre-arrival online sessions are also available to help prepare student ahead of their arrival.
- Opportunities to open bank accounts are provided on campus during Welcome Week. Those who need to register with the police will be able to do so on campus in October.
English Language Requirements
- English language requirements vary between degrees.
- The university accepts the following English language qualifications: IELTS; TOEFL-iBT; PTE; CAE; CPE; IGCSE; Trinty ISE.
- Please refer to the university website for specific language requirements required for each course.
Accommodation for International Students
- All new international undergraduates are guaranteed an offer of university accommodation for their first year of study. All undergraduate residents are spread evenly amongst UK/EU students in university accommodation.
- All new postgraduate research students are guaranteed an offer of accommodation. Postgraduate taught students coming from outside the EU are also guaranteed an offer of accommodation.
- Students may stay in their accommodation during vacations.
- The University of Edinburgh has couples and family accommodation for students who wish to bring their families; while not guaranteed, a large number of flats are available.
Bursaries and Scholarships
The university offers bursaries and scholarships specifically for international students. Below are a selection; please refer to the university for details.
- The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies: two scholarships of £5,000 a year for overseas applicants on an eligible BVM&S full-time programme (Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery).
- Edinburgh Global Masters Scholarships: worth £10,000, available to non-EU students applying to study a one year master's programme.
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships (30 available): for non-EU applicants applying to study a PhD programme, each scholarship covers the difference between the UK and International rate of tuition fee.
- Support is provided by the Global Community team and by the university's Student Immigration Service. The Global Community team in Edinburgh Global host a range of cultural events throughout the year, these include Thanksgiving dinners and Burns night celebrations. The team also coordinate a Go Connect Hospitality Scheme connecting international students with the local community in and around Edinburgh. Advice and guidance is also offered on fraud prevention and pre-arrival orientation.
- In addition, the Edinburgh University Student Association coordinate a wide range of cultural clubs and societies such as the International and Exchange Student Society, and operate the university’s student Advice Place.