The University of Edinburgh
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Edinburgh offers more than 300 taught master's courses and 150 research areas. Students can expect expert teaching from leading academics, at a university respected around the world for its innovation and research excellence. There are a range of ways to study at Edinburgh, from on-campus taught programmes to online part-time study.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
10,793 postgraduate students in 2017–18
Mode of study
- Full Time 76%
- Part Time 24%
- UK 46%
- EU 16%
- Other 38%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||85||375||460|
|Agriculture & Forestry||120||275||390|
|Geography & Environmental Science||40||200||240|
|Accounting & Finance||5||220||220|
|Theology & Religious Studies||90||65||155|
|Physics & Astronomy||130||25||155|
|Art & Design||0||140||140|
|Anatomy & Physiology||80||45||125|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||10||110||120|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||25||85||110|
|Communication & Media Studies||10||75||85|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||5||65||75|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||35||30||65|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||0||55||55|
|Classics & Ancient History||35||15||50|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||45||45|
|East & South Asian Studies||25||20||45|
|Russian & East European Languages||5||0||5|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of Edinburgh offers a number of Principal’s Career Development Scholarships for applicants applying to study a PhD programme. Each scholarship covers the UK rate of tuition fee and living cost support of currently £14,500 for three years of study.
- The university works with partners to offer a number of awards, with Research Council funding and Chevening Partnership Scholarships available. Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- Postgraduate research students are guaranteed an offer of accommodation during all years of study at the university.
- The university provides a wide range of self-catered accommodation options. The majority of university accommodation is up to 1.5 km from the university central area, a 15–20 minute walk.
- Postgraduate accommodation leases are for the full 51 week period each year.