The University of Edinburgh
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Edinburgh offers more than 300 taught master's courses and 150 research areas. Students can expect expert teaching from leading academics, at a university respected around the world for its innovation and research excellence. There are a range of ways to study at Edinburgh, from on-campus taught programmes to online part-time study.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
10,793 postgraduate students in 2017–18
Mode of study
- Full Time 76%
- Part Time 24%
- UK 46%
- EU 16%
- Other 38%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||85||375||460|
|Agriculture & Forestry||120||275||390|
|Geography & Environmental Science||40||200||240|
|Accounting & Finance||5||220||220|
|Theology & Religious Studies||90||65||155|
|Physics & Astronomy||130||25||155|
|Art & Design||0||140||140|
|Anatomy & Physiology||80||45||125|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||10||110||120|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||25||85||110|
|Communication & Media Studies||10||75||85|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||5||65||75|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||35||30||65|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||0||55||55|
|Classics & Ancient History||35||15||50|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||45||45|
|East & South Asian Studies||25||20||45|
|Russian & East European Languages||5||0||5|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Quick Guides to Postgraduate Tuition Fees and Finance
- Find and check tuition fees for specific courses on our Course Chooser.
- Get information about postgraduate loans and other funding available.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of Edinburgh offers a number of Principal’s Career Development Scholarships for applicants applying to study a PhD programme. Each scholarship covers the UK rate of tuition fee and living cost support of currently £14,500 for three years of study.
- The university works with partners to offer a number of awards, with Research Council funding and Chevening Partnership Scholarships available. Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- Postgraduate research students are guaranteed an offer of accommodation during all years of study at the university.
- The university provides a wide range of self-catered accommodation options. The majority of university accommodation is up to 1.5 km from the university central area, a 15–20 minute walk.
- Postgraduate accommodation leases are for the full 51 week period each year.