The University of Edinburgh
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Edinburgh offers more than 300 taught masters courses and 150 research areas. Students can expect expert teaching from leading academics, at a university respected around the world for its innovation and research excellence. There are a range of ways to study at Edinburgh, from on-campus taught programmes to online part-time study.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
10,265 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 76%
- Part Time 24%
- UK 46%
- EU 15%
- Other 39%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||85||365||450|
|Agriculture & Forestry||125||240||370|
|Geography & Environmental Science||30||185||220|
|Accounting & Finance||0||180||180|
|Art & Design||0||155||155|
|Theology & Religious Studies||90||50||140|
|Physics & Astronomy||110||30||140|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||10||110||115|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||25||75||105|
|Communication & Media Studies||10||80||90|
|Anatomy & Physiology||70||20||90|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||5||70||70|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||30||35||65|
|Classics & Ancient History||30||10||40|
|East & South Asian Studies||20||20||40|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||0||35||35|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||20||20|
|Russian & East European Languages||5||0||5|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of Edinburgh offers a number of Principal’s Career Development Scholarships for applicants applying to study a PhD programme. Each scholarship covers the UK rate of tuition fee and living cost support of currently £14,500 for three years of study.
- 30 Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships are available for non-EU applicants applying to study a PhD programme. Each scholarship covers the difference between the UK and International rate of tuition fee.
- Research Council funding offers awards to postgraduate doctoral students across the range of academic disciplines. Awards normally cover the UK rate of tuition fee and eligible applicants also receive a maintenance allowance.
- A number of Edinburgh Global Masters Scholarships for non-EU applicants applying to study a one year masters programme will be available. Each award will have a value of £10,000.
- The University of Edinburgh also offers a number of joint awards through the Chevening Partnership Scholarship Program for masters applicants. Each scholarship covers full tuition fee and living cost support.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- Postgraduate research students are guaranteed an offer of accommodation during all years of studying at the university.
- Postgraduate taught students coming from outside the EU are guaranteed an offer of accommodation.
- The university provides a wide range of self-catered accommodation options.
- The majority of university accommodation is up to 1.5 km from the university central area, a 15–20 minute walk.
- Postgraduate accommodation leases are for the full 51 week period each year.