The University of Edinburgh
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- Postgraduate research students are guaranteed an offer of accommodation during all years of studying at the university.
- Postgraduate taught students coming from outside the EU are guaranteed an offer of accommodation.
- The university provides a wide range of self-catered accommodation options.
- The majority of university accommodation is up to 1.5 km from the university central area, a 15–20 minute walk.
- Postgraduate accommodation leases are for the full 51 week period each year.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of Edinburgh offers a number of Principal’s Career Development Scholarships for applicants applying to study a PhD programme. Each scholarship covers the UK rate of tuition fee and living cost support of currently £14,500 for 3 years of study.
- 30 Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships are available for non-EU applicants applying to study a PhD programme. Each scholarship covers the difference between the UK and International rate of tuition fee.
- Research Council funding offers awards to postgraduate doctoral students across the range of academic disciplines. Awards normally cover the UK rate of tuition fee and eligible applicants also receive a maintenance allowance.
- A number of Edinburgh Global Masters Scholarships for non-EU applicants applying to study a 1 year Masters programme will be available. Each award will have a value of £10,000.
- The University of Edinburgh also offers a number of joint awards through the Chevening Partnership Scholarship Program for Masters applicants. Each scholarship covers full tuition fee and living cost support.
- University of Edinburgh offers postgraduate research programmes across a wide range of disciplines, from Art to Astrophysics and from South Asian Studies to Stem Cell Research.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
What do Postgraduate Students Study?
9,425 postgraduate students in 2015–16:
Mode of study
- Full Time 77%
- Part Time 23%
- UK 46%
- EU 16%
- Other 38%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Medicine & dentistry||380||570||950|
|Business & administrative studies||85||545||635|
|Historical & philosophical studies||260||295||555|
|Engineering & technology||245||175||420|
|Architecture, building & planning||60||325||385|
|Agriculture & related subjects||180||185||370|
|Subjects allied to medicine||100||230||335|
|Creative arts & design||70||240||310|
|Mass communications & documentation||5||45||50|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.