University of Essex
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Pre-Arrival and Welcome Arrangements
- Information can be found in the online Student Handbook and within a dedicated area of the university website.
- At the beginning of each academic year the university provides an airport transfer service from London Heathrow and Gatwick airports to the Colchester Campus.
- A full programme of events is organised for Welcome Week at the beginning of the academic year, and individual departments provide induction events. The Students’ Union also offer a number of events during the first few weeks of team specifically for international students.
- The International Academy offers an orientation and registration programme for all its students and a programme of events and visits throughout the year.
- The University Skills Centre (USC) provides assessment and training in key skills for academic success and employability and acts as a key information hub to ensure students have easy access to all the resources they need.
English Language Requirements
- The English language requirement for the majority of undergraduate courses is IELTS 6.0 overall. Specified component grades are also required for all applicants who require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK. Other English language qualifications may be acceptable.
- Different requirements apply for sub-degree courses, some courses in the School of Health & Human Sciences, BA Multimedia Journalism, 2nd year entry into undergraduate courses, and some postgraduate courses.
- Applicants wishing to study below degree-level courses require a secure English Language test: if taking IELTS, students need a UKVI IELTS taken at a UKVI approved test centre.
- If students do not meet the university's IELTS requirements they may be able to complete a pre-sessional English pathway enabling them to start their course without retaking IELTS. In-sessional programmes offer free English support classes for students taking a full-time academic course.
- For details of the above, please contact the university or refer to the university website.
Accommodation for International Students
- All first year undergraduate, international and full-time post-graduate students are guaranteed university accommodation, providing their academic place is confirmed and they apply by the published deadline.
- University accommodation comprises fully-furnished single study-bedrooms grouped in self-contained flats of varying sizes, with communal kitchen-dining facilities. All accommodation is self-catering, and there is free Internet access.
- The Residents' Support Network (RSN) provides support, with a Residents' Assistant (RA) based in each area of accommodation, ensuring that students have opportunities to get involved in university life and social activities.
- International students are spread throughout the accommodation; most flats are mixed-gender, although single-gender flats are available. Rooms are let for the whole academic year, meaning that students do not need to move out during Christmas and Easter vacations.
- Residences at Colchester campus range from between 1–15 minutes’ walk of the campus, while at the Southend campus, accommodation is just a couple of minutes’ walk to the main buildings.
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.