University of Essex
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Campus and Crime Map
- New full-time students at either the Colchester or Southend campus are guaranteed university-provided accommodation for their first year of study, so long as they apply by the specified deadline.
- Starting from just under £100 per week, there are accommodation options to suit every budget and every personality. Single study bedrooms are grouped in self-contained flats of varying size, with communal kitchen-dining facilities. International and home students are mixed throughout the residences. Most flats are mixed-gender, although single-gender flats are available. Rooms are let for the whole academic year, so students do not need to move out during Christmas and Easter vacations.
- A Residence Life network creates a harmonious, community based environment. A Residents' Assistant (RA) is based in each area of accommodation ensuring students have opportunities to get involved in social activities, as well as dealing with any complaints or queries they might have.
- Residences at Colchester campus are located between 3–15 minutes' walk of the centre of campus, while at the Southend Campus, accommodation is just a couple of minutes' walk to the main buildings.
|Self-Catered||from £99 to £191 per week|
The costs above are for the academic year 2019/20
- The Colchester campus hosts its own shops, bars, cafés, nightclubs, restaurants, health centre, sports facilities – including top of the range gym – a bank and even a hair salon, so it's unlikely that students will need to leave campus often. If they do, it's only a 10-minute bus ride to Colchester town centre.
- The Southend Campus is modern and lively with a close-knit community. It is based in the heart of the seaside town, so no matter where students choose to live they will never be too far away.
- The Loughton Campus has the best of both worlds, with London on the doorstep and Epping Forest, one of London's largest open spaces, just a stone's throw away.
Nightlife and Culture
- Colchester town is brimming with places to enjoy a night of cultural entertainment: there's Colchester Arts Centre in an old converted church, and the Mercury Theatre plays host to everything from Grease to Macbeth. Colchester also hosts an array of bars and nightclubs in the centre of town; students can opt for a quiet drink by a fireplace with friends, or choose to dance the night away.
- Southend is affectionately known as 'London’s playground’, with the opportunity to sail, kite-surf or cycle along the coast. Thrill-seekers can take a ride on the roller coasters at Adventure Island and then stop off for fish and chips on the beach. Awarded a purple flag for night time safety, students can enjoy nightlife, comedy and theatre shows.
- The Loughton Campus is only half an hour away from the buzz of London. Hop on the Central line from Debden underground, which is just a 5-minute walk from campus, to experience nightlife in the big city.
- The Colchester Campus is a short bus journey from the town centre and from the railway station, with trains to central London taking less than one hour – or take a bus journey to Brightlingsea for a day at the beach.
- The Southend Campus is less than 1 hour by train to London, and also close to London Southend Airport with flights to Spain, France and more.
- London Stansted airport is nearby with connections across Europe, and coach services to Colchester and Southend.
- The Loughton Campus is 5 minutes away from Debden underground station, which takes you to the bright lights of London in just half an hour.