University of Essex
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Essex takes a broader view of the world's most pressing problems, advocating an interdisciplinary approach. Students are encouraged to get involved with departmental research. From speaking at conferences to working as a laboratory assistant, there are plenty of opportunities for students to make their mark whilst gaining valuable experience for their career.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
3,295 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 63%
- Part Time 37%
- UK 60%
- EU 12%
- Other 28%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Accounting & Finance||40||150||190|
|Business & Management Studies||20||150||170|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||5||145||145|
|Aural & Oral Sciences||0||60||60|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||15||25||40|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||10||15||25|
|East & South Asian Studies||0||15||15|
|Communication & Media Studies||0||10||10|
|Agriculture & Forestry||0||10||10|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||5||5||5|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||5||5|
|Art & Design||5||0||5|
|Geography & Environmental Science||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The university has a comprehensive package of bursaries and scholarships to ensure all students have the potential to succeed.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- All full-time postgraduate students are guaranteed university accommodation, providing their academic place is confirmed and they apply by the published deadline.
- Postgraduate students are required to make a pre-payment of £250 when they accept their offer of accommodation.