University of Essex
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- All full-time post-graduate students are guaranteed university accommodation, providing their academic place is confirmed and they apply by the published deadline.
- The university's award-winning accommodation has something to suit every budget and personality.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018):
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The university has a comprehensive package of bursaries and scholarships to ensure all students have the potential to succeed.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- Essex is top 20 in the UK for research excellence (REF 2014) and students learn from academics who are internationally recognised for their research work.
- Many departments run their own postgraduate journals and working papers, and all offer doctoral research seminars and conferences, encouraging students to present at such events.
What do Postgraduate Students Study?
3,005 postgraduate students in 2015–16:
Mode of study
- Full Time 68%
- Part Time 32%
- UK 53%
- EU 11%
- Other 36%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Subjects allied to medicine||30||545||575|
|Business & administrative studies||80||425||510|
|Creative arts & design||25||180||210|
|Agriculture & related subjects||5||125||125|
|Historical & philosophical studies||70||60||125|
|Architecture, building & planning||5||45||45|
|Engineering & technology||25||20||40|
|Mass communications & documentation||0||10||10|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.