Glasgow Caledonian University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- GCU offers award-winning international student support, careers-orientated programmes, and state-of-the-art facilities in a compact city centre campus, which is currently undergoing a £30m transformation.
- INTO GCU, an on-campus partnership between GCU and INTO, offers programmes and courses for international students who require additional support to meet the academic and English language requirements for direct entry to university, and is an examination centre for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), an internationally recognised English language proficiency test.
- World-leading and internationally excellent research.
- GCU’s Chancellor Professor Muhammad Yunus has been presented with a Nobel Peace Prize, the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal for his international anti-poverty work. He is one of only seven people to have received all three honours. Other recipients included Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr. Professor Yunus also holds the Robert F. Kennedy Ripple of Hope Award.
- GCU’s commitment to the common good underpins every aspect of the university’s learning, teaching, research and public engagement activities.
- GCU’s The British School of Fashion, which is based in GCU London, offers a range of postgraduate programmes in fashion business led by internationally respected academics.
- GCU was the first university in Scotland to open a campus in London – in the vibrant Spitalfields area – and the first in the UK to establish a campus in New York.
- More than 20,000 students from 100 countries study at GCU.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- Academic IELTS 6.0 with no single element below 5.5.
- Trinity College London - Integrated Skills in English (ISE) – Pass at Level III.
- Pearson PTE Academic with overall score of 54 with minimum score of 51 in Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing elements.
- GCSE or IGCSE in English or English as a First Language with grade C.
Please note: some programmes may have higher minimum requirements.
- In addition, INTO GCU, an on-campus partnership between GCU and INTO, offers programmes and courses for international students who require additional support to meet the academic and English language requirements for direct entry to university.
- Further details at http://www.gcu.ac.uk/study/internationalstudents/howtoapply/englishlanguagerequirements/
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- A wide range of scholarships is available to GCU’s students, such as Moffat Scholarships for travel and tourism programmes and Masterton Undergraduate Bursaries in Civil Engineering, or scholarships supported by international industry leaders such as Warner Bros and Marks and Spencer.
- We offer a number of scholarships exclusively to international (non-EU) students as well as merit-based scholarships for international students from a range of countries. Please visit our website for more information.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- Glasgow Caledonian University’s (GCU's) award-winning support for international students begins even before students arrive. They can start making friends and contact current students through our Facebook group or talk to the Campus Life and Visa Immigration Support and Advice teams directly to help prepare for arrival in the UK. Podcasts and videos on the GCU’s Youtube channel also give prospective students an insight into life at GCU from the perspective of some of our international students.
- Our Student Welcome Team Ambassadors are at Glasgow International Airport to welcome new students to Glasgow and help them access the city’s excellent local transport links as part of the Meet & Greet Service. Welcome Team Ambassadors are on standby at the Welcome Desk and all over the GCU campus to offer support and a warm welcome. When our students arrive on campus, the Campus Life and VISA teams offer a range of services.
- GCU runs an orientation programme offering practical information and support to help students settle into life in the UK, such as visa application workshops, as well as a host of fun social and sporting events, including a traditional ceilidh and day trips to explore the city and the rest of Scotland. GCU hosts social events throughout the year.
Accommodation for International Students
- GCU’s 'village in the city', Caledonian Court is located just across the road from the campus. Housing 660 students in 100 modern self-catering apartments, it offers a friendly atmosphere in a secure, convenient location where staff are on site to offer advice and support throughout our students’ stay.
- International students who apply early are guaranteed accommodation. Students tend to be housed together, depending on age group.
- University accommodation is self-catering, and all rooms have internet/wif-fi access.
- Friendly communal spaces to socialise in.
- Students do not have to move out of their accommodation during Christmas and Easter vacations.
- University accommodation costs £98.32 per week for a standard room, £111.42 per week for an en-suite room. The fee includes internet access, electricity and heating.
Organisations for International Students
- Glasgow Caledonian University has a post-graduate campus in London and has launched a campus in New York.
- Award-winning partners Caledonian College of Engineering in Oman and the Grameen Caledonian College of Nursing (GCCN), established in Bangladesh in partnership with the Grameen Trust.
- GCCN was launched to raise the status of the nursing profession in the country and provide opportunities, education and training to women from impoverished backgrounds.
- The university also has academic collaborations with universities around the world including in China, India, North and South America, and Malaysia.
The university’s award-winning Students' Association oversees organisations and societies for international students such as the GCU:
- Malaysian Society
- Explore Pakistan Society
- Nigerian Students Society
- Arab Society
- Erasmus Student Network
- Irish Society
- Italian Society