University of Greenwich
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Greenwich is a cosmopolitan community with students from more than 140 countries. Its three campuses in London and Kent include the Old Royal Naval College, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the heart of Greenwich, giving students the best of city and campus-style living. A wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees are available, including many designed to meet the needs of international students.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
4,635 international students in 2017–18
- All students are given a warm welcome upon their arrival on campus.
- Once students are on campus, a team of student and staff helpers are on hand to guide and assist them.
- A full programme of welcome events is provided for international students in the first week of term.
English Language Requirements
All students need to show that their understanding and expression of English is sufficient to complete their studies. Requirements vary depending on the course and level of study, the minimums are shown below:
- IELTS 6.0 overall (taken in the past two years). Some undergraduate and postgraduate taught courses require IELTS 6.5 overall or higher (minimum of 5.5 or higher in each component), while many extended degrees require IELTS 5.5 overall (minimum of 5.5 in each component).
- Pre-sessional and foundation courses require IELTS 4.5 overall (minimum of 4.0 in each component). Pre-sessional English and foundation programmes are also offered by the university's partner pathway college, Oxford International, which has different English language requirements – please refer to their website.
- An alternative to the above IELTS requirements is a GCSE/IGCSE/O Level Certificate showing a grade of C in English Language. English language requirements are also waived if the applicant has successfully completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in the UK. For other acceptable English Language exams, please contact the International Office at the university.
Accommodation for International Students
- New students are guaranteed a place in a hall of residence provided they meet certain conditions. They must be a full-time student attending the University of Greenwich for the first time; the university must receive their accommodation application by the relevant deadline; and they must enrol on a full-time course of study for the entire academic session at one of the university's three campuses (Avery Hill, Greenwich or Medway).
- All university managed accommodation is self-catering. Internet access is included in the hall fees.
- Residents are not required to move out during Christmas or Easter holidays but cannot be guaranteed accommodation for the summer break, unless their contract already includes this period. Rooms are normally available for students continuing on their courses over the summer vacation period.