Harper Adams University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Harper Adams University is a leading specialist institution tackling the future development of the planet's agri-food production, processing, animal sciences, engineering, land management and sustainable business. Established in 1901, the university has been delivering vital agri-food education for more than a century. Harper Adams comprises part invention hub, part think tank, part industry, part 640 hectare farm.
UCAS Code: H12
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 91%
- Postgraduate 9%
Mode of study
- Full Time 46%
- Part Time 54%
Where students come from
- UK 96%
- EU 2%
- Other 2%
- Male 48%
- Female 52%
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- The Bamford Library is central to campus, with 43,000 books, a growing e-book collection, around 2,000 print and 44,000 e-journals, databases, and reading lists.
- On campus there are opportunities to take a part-time job while studying, either at catering outlets, the farm or Students' Union bar.
- In addition, becoming a student ambassador and representing Harper Adams is great experience, looks good on a CV and pays above the minimum wage.
- The Careers Service advertises part-time vacancies as well as placement and graduate jobs; with Harper Adams sandwich degrees, students gain a full year of work experience before they graduate.
- There are links with a broad range of employers. Employer visits and presentations are held on site, including sessions to advise students on selection criteria and testing.
- The annual Careers and Placement Fairs are held in November with over 150 employers attending.
- The careers website handles vacancies for current students and recent graduates.
- Harper Adams has an on-site GP surgery; and the student services, working with the Students' Union, provide regular clinics and support for mental and sexual health.
Counselling and Mental Health Support
- University counsellors are registered with the British Association of Counselling and Physiotherapy.
- The counsellors are available in term time for private sessions or informal chats, and provide long-term support.
- They also run workshops on assertiveness, meditation, resilient thinking, stress and anxiety management.
- Prior to arrival at the university students are invited to complete and return a learner support self assessment indicating if they have a disability. Students are also encouraged to contact the university prior to arrival to discuss their support needs.
- Disability support includes an assessment of study needs carried out in the university.
- Additional examination support includes extra time and any other support as recommended, such as use of note takers and sign language interpreters.
Other services and facilities
- Specific course facilities include a 640 hectare farm with dedicated science facilities for research and teaching; and a government-funded Agri-Tech Innovation Hub for agricultural technology.
- The Students' Union offers a wide variety of clubs and societies to join or support. The SU team is passionate about enhancing students' time at Harper and encourage new clubs and societies.
- In the evening, entertainment is provided in the Students' Union bar or in the university pub, The Welly Inn.
- The Students' Union usually hosts four balls throughout the year, with the summer ball being the largest. Midweek and weekend entertainment ranges from bar nights, comedy evenings and film nights.
- Harper Adams was founded in 1901 following a private bequest from Thomas Harper Adams to establish a specialist institute for agriculture.
- Since then, Harper Adams has adapted to meet food security and environmental needs through increasing courses, growing student numbers and qualification levels.
- In 2012, with a student population of more than 3,000, Harper Adams secured full university status and is well established in the ranks of UK higher education.
- Harper Adams University has the only zoology degree in the UK that allows you to specialise in entomology – studying insects, the little things that run the world.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Mark Aitchison – chief executive of Frontier Agriculture.
- Helen Browning OBE – chief executive of the Soil Association.
- Ken Greetham – chief executive of Wynnstay Group Plc.
- Robin Faccenda – founder and chair of Faccenda Group (sponsor of the student services building).
- Julian Sturdy – Conservative MP for York Outer.
- John Mercer – director of NFU Wales.
- Richard Anscombe – chief executive of AtlasFram.
- Tom Tynan – appointed to the cabinet of the EU Agricultural Commissioner.
- Justin McCarthy – editor of the Irish Farmers Journal.
Harper Adams University, Newport, Shropshire, TF10 8NB