Harper Adams University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Harper Adams University is a leading specialist institution tackling the future development of the planet’s agri-food production, processing, animal sciences, engineering, land management and sustainable business. Established in 1901, the university has been delivering vital agri-food education for more than a century. Harper Adams comprises part invention hub, part think tank, part industry, part 640 hectare farm.
UCAS Code: H12
League Table Scores
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the university.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the university.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the university.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the university.Read more
The average staffing levels at the university.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the university.Read more
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 92%
- Postgraduate 8%
Mode of study
- Full Time 47%
- Part Time 53%
Where students come from
- UK 96%
- EU 1%
- Other 3%
- Male 53%
- Female 47%
Type of Qualification:
Undergraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Student Services and Facilities
- The Bamford Library is central to campus, with 43,000 books, a growing e-book collection and about 2,000 print and 44,000 e-journals, databases and reading lists.
- On campus there are opportunities to take a part-time job while studying, either at catering outlets, the farm or Students' Union bar.
- In addition, becoming a student ambassador and representing Harper Adams is great experience, looks good on a CV and pays above the minimum wage.
- The Careers Service advertises part-time vacancies as well as placement and graduate jobs; with Harper Adams sandwich degrees, students gain a full year of work experience before they graduate.
- There are links with a broad range of employers. Employer visits and presentations are held on site, including sessions to advise students on selection criteria and testing.
- The annual Careers and Placement Fairs are held in November with over 150 employers attending.
- The careers website handles vacancies for current students and recent graduates.
- Harper Adams has an on-site GP surgery; and the student services, working with the Students' Union, provide regular clinics and support for mental and sexual health.
- University counsellors are registered with the British Association of Counselling and Physiotherapy.
- The counsellors are available in term time for private sessions or informal chats, and provide long-term support.
- They also run workshops on assertiveness, meditation, resilient thinking, stress and anxiety management.
- Prior to arrival at the university students are invited to complete and return a Learner Support Self Assessment indicating if they have a disability. Students are also encouraged to contact the university prior to arrival to discuss their support needs.
- Disability support includes an Assessment of Study Needs carried out in the university.
- Additional examination support includes extra time and any other support recommended in the Assessment of Study Needs or other appropriate evidence – for example, use of note takers and sign language interpreters.
Other services and facilities
- Specific course facilities include a 640 hectare farm with dedicated science facilities for research and teaching; and a government-funded Agri-Tech Innovation Hub for agricultural technology.
- The Students' Union offers a wide variety of clubs and societies to join or support. The SU team is passionate about enhancing students' time at Harper and encourage new clubs and societies.
- In the evening, entertainment is provided in the Students' Union bar or in the university pub, The Welly Inn.
- The Students' Union usually hosts four balls throughout the year, with the summer ball being the largest. Midweek and weekend entertainment ranges from bar nights, comedy evenings and film nights.
- Harper Adams was founded in 1901 following a private bequest from Thomas Harper Adams to establish a specialist institute for agriculture.
- Since then, Harper Adams has adapted to meet food security and environmental needs through increasing courses, growing student numbers and qualification levels.
- In 2012, with a student population of more than 3,000, Harper Adams secured full university status and is well established in the ranks of UK higher education.
- Harper Adams has a Motorsport Team which in January 2017 announced a partnership with the M-Sport World Rally Team. The team regularly competes in British Rally Championship events.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Mark Aitchison – CEO Frontier Agriculture.
- Helen Browning OBE – CEO Soil Association.
- Ken Greetham – Chief Executive, Wynnstay Group Plc.
- Robin Faccenda – Faccenda Poultry (sponsor of student services building).
- Julian Sturdy – Conservative MP for York Outer.
- John Mercer – Director of NFU Wales.
- Richard Anscombe – CEO AtlasFram.
- Tom Tynan – Member of the Cabinet of the EU Commissioner for Agriculture.
- Justin McCarthy – Editor of the Irish Farmers Journal.
Harper Adams University, Newport, Shropshire , TF10 8NB