- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- Heriot-Watt University offers specialised and technical courses that are closely linked with industry.
- The university has a graduate employment rate of over 92%.
- It is situated in the fabulous and vibrant capital city of Scotland, Edinburgh.
- Potential to study part of the programme at one of our overseas campuses.
- Study with students from over 130 different countries.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
For most programmes as below, although there are some exceptions. Please check with the relevant academic school of the university.
- UG students: IELTS 6.0; PTE 57; Cambridge FCE grade B, HWU Academic English programme grade C (or grade B for some programmes)
- PG students: IELTS 6.5; PTE 62; Cambridge CAE grade C, HWU Academic English programme grade C (or grade B for some programmes)
- There are some exemptions for students who have previously undertaken degree level study in English or who have followed a high school programme of A levels or IB.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Most academic schools offer scholarships for international students in the form of a fee reduction.
- These are based largely on academic merit but financial circumstances are also taken into account.
- Students must hold an offer from the university first and should then contact the relevant academic school for more information.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- Our International Student Advisors Office (ISAO) provides advice and assistance to international students who will be based on our UK campuses. They can offer pre arrival guidance on visas and immigration as well as life in the UK.
- Heriot-Watt's International Student Advisors Office provide an airport pick up at key times at the start of semester one, and a programme of welcome/orientation events at the start of both semesters.
- These events aim to welcome international students to the UK and introduce them to the support services available within the university. Events are likely to include an international welcome, as well as sessions and information fairs on adapting to studying in the UK, banking, library sessions, and heritage tours.
Accommodation for International Students
- All new, full-time students who are arriving in semester 1 (September) and studying for at least 2 semesters, are guaranteed accommodation, provided their application for accommodation is received by the publicised deadline date. This guarantee cannot always be offered to students who arrive in semester 2 (January).
- The majority of university accommodation is on the campus in either self-catered flats or halls of residence designed to support student learning needs.
- There is wi-fi in all the university buildings and high speed broadband in all student accommodation.
- International students are spread across the accommodation so that they are able to meet students from different countries and different courses of study.
- Students do not have to move out of their accommodation during vacations – they can apply for a 40-week or 51-week contract and can stay through the Christmas and Easter breaks.
- The price of accommodation depends on what type of accommodation the students choose. Please see the website for current prices.
Organisations for International Students
- The Heriot-Watt University Students Association has several groups and clubs specifically for international students.
- There are multi-faith facilities on the campus.
- The university has campuses in Dubai and Putrajaya, Malaysia. Please see the website for more information.