- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Heriot-Watt University conducts ground-breaking research relevant to business and industry. It aims to find radical innovations and solutions to real-world challenges for the benefit of society. Students come into contact with leading researchers working on some of the most important areas for twenty-first-century society; they also benefit from excellent facilities and highly-rated teaching, creating an exceptional learning experience.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
3,090 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 64%
- Part Time 36%
- UK 47%
- EU 18%
- Other 35%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||60||610||675|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||110||65||175|
|Accounting & Finance||15||155||165|
|Physics & Astronomy||120||15||135|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||20||95||115|
|Art & Design||20||30||50|
|Geography & Environmental Science||10||10||15|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||10||10|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- A range of Heriot-Watt funded scholarships are available for applicants to postgraduate taught programmes at UK campuses in the form of a fee reduction of up to 100%, awarded on academic merit and financial need.
- Heriot-Watt alumni are entitled to a fee reduction up to 20% on postgraduate taught programmes.
- A range of jointly-funded and externally-funded scholarships and bursaries are promoted on the university website.
- Students must hold an offer of a place to study at the university before applying for any funding.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- The university guarantees to make an offer of accommodation, either on- or off-campus, to all students in their first year of study in Edinburgh and Galashiels, on condition that they have a firm unconditional offer and apply for accommodation online by the relevant deadline. This is also applicable for direct entrants into years two and three.
- Accommodation at Heriot-Watt's Edinburgh and Scottish Borders campuses offers both self-catering flats or rooms. Many single study bedrooms are en-suite. There is fast broadband and Wi-Fi, a shared kitchen, a communal lounge, and laundry facilities.
- All accommodation at the Scottish Borders campus and over half of the residential accommodation places on the Edinburgh campus are in new, contemporary student residences.
- The university has an accommodation guide which provides information on private rented accommodation in Edinburgh.