- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- The university guarantees all new full-time postgraduate students a place in university-managed accommodation, either on or off campus, in their first year, on condition that they have a firm unconditional offer and apply for accommodation online by the relevant deadline.
- Accommodation on Heriot-Watt’s Edinburgh and Scottish Borders campuses offers both self-catering flats or rooms. Students have their own study bedroom, the majority with en-suite bathrooms, as well as fast broadband and Wi-Fi, shared kitchen, a communal lounge, and laundry facilities.
- All accommodation at the Scottish Borders campus and over half of the residential accommodation places on the Edinburgh campus are in new, contemporary student residences.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- A range of Heriot-Watt funded Scholarships are available for applicants to Postgraduate Taught programmes at UK campuses in the form of a fee reduction of up to 100%, awarded on academic merit and financial need.
- Heriot-Watt alumni are entitled to a fee reduction up to 20% on Postgraduate Taught programmes.
- A range of jointly-funded and externally-funded Scholarships and Bursaries are promoted on the university website.
- Students must hold an offer of a place to study at the university before applying for any funding.
- PhD and EngD Opportunities. The university currently host around 600 PhD/EngD students working with supervisors at the cutting edge of contemporary topics from the fundamental to the applied across all disciplines; projects often involve industry involvement and collaborations around the world.
- Every School, Institute and Research Centre provides information about their research opportunities on the university’s website. There are a number of competitive and funded scholarships available e.g. James Watt, Doctoral Training Award, Charity Scholarships.
- Doctoral Training Centre Schemes. Funding students for 4 years, they provide a supportive and exciting environment for students, create new working cultures, build relationships between teams in universities and forge lasting links with industry.
- Research Futures. Offering skills and career development workshops to help you succeed during your postgraduate studies and in future research career.
- Enterprise. Heriot-Watt University has a vibrant and growing culture of enterprise amongst staff and students. There is an Enterprise Society, the opportunity to take an idea to market through Enterprise Campus or Converge Challenge, or to undertake an Entrepreneur Scholarship Programme.
What do Postgraduate Students Study?
3,326 postgraduate students in 2015–16:
Mode of study
- Full Time 62%
- Part Time 38%
- UK 47%
- EU 15%
- Other 38%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & administrative studies||80||1170||1250|
|Engineering & technology||290||820||1110|
|Architecture, building & planning||105||230||335|
|Agriculture & related subjects||10||90||100|
|Creative arts & design||20||15||30|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.