- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Heriot-Watt University conducts ground-breaking research relevant to business and industry, seeking radical solutions to real-world challenges. Students come into contact with leading researchers working on some of the key areas for twenty-first-century society; they also benefit from excellent facilities and highly-rated teaching. A pioneer of online learning for over 25 years, a wide range of online postgraduate courses are offered; students study the same courses as those on campus, and gain the same qualification.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
3,250 postgraduate students in 2017–18
Mode of study
- Full Time 62%
- Part Time 38%
- UK 52%
- EU 17%
- Other 32%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||80||670||750|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||110||65||175|
|Accounting & Finance||10||135||150|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||20||110||135|
|Physics & Astronomy||115||5||120|
|Art & Design||10||30||40|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||25||25|
|Geography & Environmental Science||5||10||15|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||0||10||10|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- A range of jointly-funded and externally-funded scholarships and bursaries are promoted on the university website.
- Heriot-Watt alumni are entitled to a fee reduction up to 20% on postgraduate taught programmes.
- Applicants must hold an offer of a place to study at the university before applying for any scholarship or bursary funding.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- The university guarantees to make an offer of accommodation, either on- or off-campus, to all students in their first year of study in Edinburgh and Galashiels, on condition that they have a firm unconditional offer and apply for accommodation online by the relevant deadline.
- Accommodation at Heriot-Watt's Edinburgh and Scottish Borders campuses offers both self-catering flats or rooms – predominantly single study bedrooms that are en-suite. There is fast broadband and Wi-Fi, a shared kitchen, a communal lounge, and laundry facilities.
- All accommodation at the Scottish Borders campus and over half of the residential accommodation places on the Edinburgh campus are in new, contemporary student residences.
- The university Accommodation Office has details on many private sector accommodation providers to support students throughout their studies.