- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Heriot-Watt University conducts ground-breaking research relevant to business and industry, seeking radical solutions to real-world challenges. Students come into contact with leading researchers working on some of the key areas for twenty-first-century society; they also benefit from excellent facilities and highly-rated teaching. A pioneer of online learning for over 25 years, a wide range of online postgraduate courses are offered; students study the same courses as those on campus, and gain the same qualification.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
3,250 postgraduate students in 2017–18
Mode of study
- Full Time 62%
- Part Time 38%
- UK 52%
- EU 17%
- Other 32%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||80||670||750|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||110||65||175|
|Accounting & Finance||10||135||150|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||20||110||135|
|Physics & Astronomy||115||5||120|
|Art & Design||10||30||40|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||25||25|
|Geography & Environmental Science||5||10||15|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||0||10||10|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Quick Guides to Postgraduate Tuition Fees and Finance
- Find and check tuition fees for specific courses on our Course Chooser.
- Get information about postgraduate loans and other funding available.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- A range of jointly-funded and externally-funded scholarships and bursaries are promoted on the university website.
- Heriot-Watt alumni are entitled to a fee reduction up to 20% on postgraduate taught programmes.
- Applicants must hold an offer of a place to study at the university before applying for any scholarship or bursary funding.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- The university guarantees to make an offer of accommodation, either on- or off-campus, to all students in their first year of study in Edinburgh and Galashiels, on condition that they have a firm unconditional offer and apply for accommodation online by the relevant deadline.
- Accommodation at Heriot-Watt's Edinburgh and Scottish Borders campuses offers both self-catering flats or rooms – predominantly single study bedrooms that are en-suite. There is fast broadband and Wi-Fi, a shared kitchen, a communal lounge, and laundry facilities.
- All accommodation at the Scottish Borders campus and over half of the residential accommodation places on the Edinburgh campus are in new, contemporary student residences.
- The university Accommodation Office has details on many private sector accommodation providers to support students throughout their studies.