- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- Clearing & Adjustment
The University of Hertfordshire is a modern, employability-focused university, 20 minutes north of London. It boasts outstanding facilities – including flight simulators, a replica Crown Court and one of the UK's largest hospital simulation suites. International students will join over 3,800 overseas and 18,500 domestic students in a safe, diverse and forward-thinking learning environment.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
4,980 international students in 2017–18
- The university offers a free airport pick up service for international arrivals from the EU and the rest of the world. These are on selected dates for both September and January intakes; please refer to the International section of the university website for details.
- During the first week, the university provides an extensive orientation programme for overseas students including social events, tours, guidance and training to help them settle in.
English Language Requirements
- Undergraduate: IELTS 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in any band); except Nursing, which requires IELTS 7.0 (with no less than 7.0 in listening and reading bands).
- Postgraduate: IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 5.5 in any band).
- The University of Hertfordshire accepts certain in-country qualifications for English Language; please refer to the International section of the university website for details.
- Pre-sessional English classes are offered for applicants who do not meet the programme entry requirements. They can study on campus with the university's foundation providers, Hertfordshire International College; on successful completion they can progress onto university programmes.
Accommodation for International Students
- The University of Hertfordshire guarantees accommodation on campus for undergraduate and postgraduate international students during the first year, subject to application deadlines.
- Students can live on the newly redeveloped College Lane campus or the smaller de Havilland campus, ideal for business and law applicants.
- Students have access to outstanding sports facilities, restaurants and a 24/7 library. A free inter-campus shuttle bus runs regularly between both sites.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of Hertfordshire offers a large scholarship fund for eligible international and European Union applicants. For September 2019 a wide range of scholarships are available, worth up to £4,000; please refer to the university website for details.
- Support is offered by the Dean of Students Office at the University of Hertfordshire. They host events throughout the year as well as offer ongoing support to those students who may need it. In conjunction with the Students' Union, the university hosts numerous cultural and country-specific events including Chinese New Year and Diwali.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.