University of Hull
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Hull offers the kind of traditional red-brick university experience that Britain is famous for, together with a supportive, modern, hi-tech environment designed to help students achieve their ambitions. The university welcomes a large number of international students to its campus every year, attracted by its academic strength, the career success of its alumni, and the friendliness and affordability of the city.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
2,655 international students in 2017–18
- The International Office and its overseas partners organise pre-departure briefings for international students before they travel to the UK, provided in as many countries as possible. These sessions prepare students for living in the UK and studying at the University of Hull.
- There is a free transport service for international students from Manchester Airport back to the campus. This includes January arrivals; June, July and August for pre-sessional students; and September arrivals. There are also discounted train tickets from London Kings Cross to Hull, with Hull Trains.
- Orientation runs during the arrival periods, with talks and advice for new students. Welcome Week is also available for all new students (home and international); this includes a faculty welcome, programme induction and various social activities.
- A number of activities are arranged for international students to help them acclimatise to life in the UK and the university, and to gain a sense of belonging.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
English Language Requirements
Before students can study a degree programme at Hull, they must demonstrate their knowledge of the English language to an acceptable level. The general English language requirements are shown below.
- IELTS 6.0 overall (with 5.5 in each skill); or Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic 54 overall (with 51 in all four skills). A number of other tests are also acceptable. Some programmes may have higher minimum requirements, please refer to the university website for details.
- The university offers pre-sessional English language programmes designed for students who do not currently meet the English language requirements for their degree.
Accommodation for International Students
- New, full-time, unaccompanied students who apply by the date specified on the university website are guaranteed a room in accommodation that's owned, in partnership or directed by the university.
- The University of Hull boasts a selection of accommodation choices both on and within walking distance of campus. Options include semi-catered or self-catered, depending on the choice of the student, and all rooms come with Wi-Fi Internet access.
- All accommodation allows students to meet peers from a range of countries and experience the rich cultural mix that can be found across the campus.
- Accommodation is available for a range of contract lengths. Please refer to the university website for more details and for up-to-date accommodation costs.
Bursaries and Scholarships
The University of Hull offers a range of scholarships for international applicants. The following are a selection; please refer to the website for details.
- The Studentship Scheme Discount: worth up to £2,500 per year as a tuition fee discount for new international undergraduate and postgraduate taught students on eligible courses. The standard discount is increased by £1,000 for students from low and lower middle income countries, as defined by the World Bank.
- Funded PhD opportunities are available through the annual university research studentship scheme, and through several third-party funding organisations.
- Merit based scholarships: worth £5,000 each to full-time postgraduate taught students from Bangladesh, Egypt, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Thailand and Vietnam, for September 2019 entry.