National University of Singapore
- QS World University Ranking (2017–18) 15
- THE World University Ranking (2017–18) 22
Student Services and Facilities
- For students who may need financial assistance, NUS offers a Work Study Assistance scheme, allowing students to work on and off campus, not exceeding 16 hours a week during term time.
- More details can be found on the website.
- At NUS, there are over 100 student societies and groups that students can participate, depending on their interests and inclinations.
- The NUS Students' German Language Society, NUS Students' French Language Interest Group, NUS Students' Korean Culture Interest Group, and the NUS Japanese Studies Society are some of the interesting clubs that students can consider.
- For more information on students’ societies and interest groups, visit the website.
- Founded in 1905 as the Straits Settlements and Federated Malay States Government Medical School.
- From the University of Malaya (1949) to the University of Singapore (1962) to the National University of Singapore (1980), NUS has been tied closely to the development of Singapore.
- Over the past decades, NUS has developed into an institution considered by many to be among the best in the world. Our transformative education and high impact research are aimed at making a distinctive and positive impact on society. We hope that students will be inspired by the many fascinating facets that make NUS a leading global university centred in Asia, and a community that will influence the future.
- Recent developments include the establishment of the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health in 2011, the introduction of residential living and learning at the University Town and the establishment of the Yale-NUS College.
- For more information about the National University of Singapore, visit www.nus.edu.sg.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Over its long and distinguished history, NUS has produced many remarkable alumni who are notable for their achievements in government, academia, business and culture.
Some of our outstanding alumni include:
- Singapore’s second President Dr Benjamin Sheares, current President of Singapore and NUS Chancellor Dr Tony Tan; former President of Singapore Mr S R Nathan; former Singapore Prime Ministers Mr Lee Kuan Yew and Mr Goh Chok Tong; and former Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
- Director-General of the World Health Organisation Dr Margaret Chan.
- Group CEO and President of Hyflux, a leading global provider of integrated environmental solutions, Ms Olivia Lum.
- Singapore’s former ambassador to the United Nations and former president of the United Nations Security Council, Professor Kishore Mahbubani. He is also the founding dean of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy at NUS.
National University of Singapore, University Town, 2 College Avenue West, #01-03, Singapore 138607