/

National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan

History

  • National Chiao Tung University (NCTU) was established in the suburbs of Shanghai in 1896.
  • The University was first named Nanyang College and was built to meet the demand of introducing western civilisation to China.
  • In the later years, the college was renamed the Vocational College of Higher Education and opened new vocational programmes, such as business, electrical engineering and shipping, which played a major role in science and engineering education in China.
  • The University was dissolved when communists gained control of mainland China in 1949, but was re-established in 1957 at the insistence of NCTU’s alumni. 

Address

National Chiao Tung University, 1001 Dàxué Road, Dong District, Hsinchu City, Taiwan 300