/

Université catholique de Louvain

History

  • Université catholique de Louvain (the Catholic University of Leuven) is a French speaking university on a greenfield campus in Louvain-la-Neuve, 20 km south-east of Brussels. It traces its roots to the founding by papal bull of a Studium Generale in 1425. 
  • It has been through several incarnations and was been the centre of the European theological movement Jansenism. 
  • After the revolutionary wars the Austrian Netherlands, along with the university, were formally integrated into the French Republic and the university was abolished by decree. After its refounding in 1835 it provided lectures in both Dutch and French.  
  • In 1968, the Dutch-language section became the independent KU Leuven. By 1979, the French division was an entirely independent university with all faculties transferred to the campus at Louvain-la-Neuve.

Address

Université Catholique de Louvain, Chaussée de Binche 151, 7000 Mons, Belgium