University of Basel
- Undergraduate Students
- The University of Basel was founded in connection with the Council of Basel in 1460. Originally, it consisted of three principal faculties, Divinity, Law, and Medicine, as well as an Arts faculty designed to prepare students for courses in the other three faculties.
- In 1622 the University library was established, comprising the existing University collection and the stocks of secular cloisters.
- In 1890 female students were first admitted to the university.
- In 1996 the University of Basel was granted autonomy from state administration.
- The University of Basel is now a modern and attractive centre of teaching, learning and research, situated in the heart of a historic town.
University of Basel, Petersplatz 1, 4003 Basel, Switzerland