Other English Language Courses
The UK offers a wide range of accredited, quality-assured English language courses, providing qualifications that are recognised around the world.
- The UK has an enviable reputation for the quality of its schools, colleges and universities, and its academic excellence is recognised around the world.
- A wide variety of courses are available, including vacation courses, English for business, English for Specific Purposes such as journalism, medicine and law, and English for Academic Purposes, which is specially designed to prepare students for degree-level study at UK universities.
English can be studied in the UK for many other purposes than for university entrance. Over 600,000 learners a year come to the UK to experience modern UK life and to use the language in its natural home.
- There are almost 3,000 course combinations at more than 460 institutions accredited by the British Council.
- Applicants from outside the EU will have to meet level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages to meet visa requirements even if the purpose of their visit is to study English.
Important: the UK Government has actively sought to clamp down on language schools and other institutions that have been implicated in visa scams and other attempts to escape the country’s immigration controls.
- It is vital to clarify the status of any institution you may be considering, to satisfy yourself that if offers genuine language tuition, and to ensure that you comply with visa restrictions.
- The best way to do this is to learn English at an accredited institution.
- Visit the British Council’s website to see the full list of accredited institutions.
Next page: What's It Like to Study English in the UK?