- QS World University Ranking (2016–17) 90
- THE World University Ranking (2016–17) 87
- Students are expected to have completed the secondary education that will best prepare them and supply their grades.
- They are expected to have proficiency in English and have studied maths, a foreign language, laboratory science and social science.
- Entry is via the Common Application (online), with a Rice Supplement.
- Applicants should also submit their SAT test or ACT with wiriting, two letters of recommendation and a $75 application fee.
- Rice has a student:faculty ratio of 5:1.
- Roughly half of undergraduates are women.
- Roughly a tenth of undergraduates are international.
- Last year, 16% of applicants were successful.
- William Marsh Rice University, formerly the Rice Institute, and commonly called Rice, was chartered in 1891 as a gift to Houston by William Marsh Rice.
- It opened in 1912 and is a privately-funded research university with an excellent record for scholarship.
- It was coeducational from the beginning and has a centralised admissions system, with students not required to declare a major during their first year.
- Larry McMurty, novelist.
- Eva Hoffman, novelist.
- Howard Hughes, philanthropist and entrepreneur.
- Nine NASA astronauts.
- Robert Floyd Curl, Jr., Nobel laureate in Chemistry.