University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- QS World University Ranking (2018–19) 71
- THE World University Ranking (2018–19) 50
- The Morrill Act of 1862 granted each state in the United States land on which to establish a major public state university, one which could teach mechanic arts, agriculture, scientific and classical studies.
- After a fierce bidding war between a number of Illinois cities, Urbana was selected in 1867 as the site for the new school.
- Following World War II, the university experienced rapid growth—doubling its enrolment and significantly improving its academic standing.
- This period was also marked by large growth in the Graduate College and increased federal support of scientific and technological research.