University of Pittsburgh
- QS World University Ranking (2017–18) 142
- THE World University Ranking (2017–18) 100
- Pittsburgh is a state-funded research university. It is one of the oldest establishments in the USA having been founded (as Pittsburgh Academy) in 1787.
- At that time it was based in a log cabin on the American frontier. The university grew quickly and moved into central Pittsburgh in 1830.
- They have an internationally-renowned observatory and are known as a centre of ground-breaking scientific research such as the development of the polio vaccine (1955).
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
Pitt claim many notable alumni in a diverse range of fields including law, government and the military, science and education and several Nobel Prize winners. Some of these are:
- Gene Kelly – actor, director and dancer.
- Michael Chabon – Pulitzer Prize-winning author.
- Ray Smith – former CEO of Bell Atlantic.
- Abul Hassam –inventor of a water purification filter.
- Mahmoud Jibril – acting revolutionary leader of Libya during Gaddafi's fall from power.
- Philip Hench – Nobel laureate, for the discovery of cortisone.
- Wangari Maathi – Nobel laureate, for Peace.
University of Pittsburgh, 4200 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA