University of Western Australia. Australia
- Undergraduate Students
- QS World University Ranking (2018–19) 91
Student Services and Facilities
- Under the terms of a student visa, once an international student has commenced their course they may work up to 20 hours per week while their course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.
- The University has a Careers Centre (www.careers.uwa.edu.au) to help students find part-time and vacation work, but it is important to be aware that work is not always available.
- Students should not rely on earning sufficient income to support their studies and the Department of Immigration and Citizenship may decline a visa on this basis.
- UWA is committed to ensuring that students with disability have the chance to participate fully in university life.
- Find information on the services available at www.studentservices.uwa.edu.au/ss/disability.
- The UWA Student Guild offers an array of diverse clubs and societies, many of which are tailored to international student interests.
- Find a full list of clubs and societies at www.guild.uwa.edu.au/welcome/clubs/list.
- The University of Western Australia (UWA) was established in 1911 as the State's first university. It was also the first free university in the British Empire, actively promoting equal access to tertiary education for all social classes.
- In 2013 UWA celebrates its centenary, reflecting on its beginnings in 1913 when it opened its doors to 184 students.
- Today UWA has a student body of over 23,000 students from all corners of the globe.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- The Honourable Robert Hawke – former Prime Minister of Australia 1983–91.
- His Excellency, Dr Ken Michael – Governor of Western Australia.
- The Honourable Kim Beazley – former Deputy Prime Minister of Australia 1995–1996, Leader of the Opposition 1996–2001 and 2005–06, Australian Ambassador to the United States of America 2009 to current.
- The Honourable Robert French – Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia.
- Dr Michael Chaney – chairman of the National Australia Bank, former director of BHP Billiton Limited, and the Chancellor of UWA.
- Lee Hunter – Head of Consumer and Partner Marketing, Europe, Middle East and Africa at YouTube.
- Elizabeth Shaw – Australian Youth Representative to the United Nations.
- Peter Pang – President of Bosch China.
- The Honourable Stephen Smith – Minister of Defence, Australian Federal Government.
- Every Premier of the State of Western Australia from 1988 to 2011 – including the first woman Premier of a state in Australia.
International Centre, The University of Western Australia, M352, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth, WA 6009, Australia