Choosing to study at one of the leading universities in the UK is an exciting experience, but it does come with a catch – money.
- International students pay higher tuition fees than domestic students and also fund their accommodation and living costs.
- Fortunately, there is support available and opportunities for part-time work to top up funds.
- A student working part-time has the same rights as a full-time employee.
- The UK has a National Minimum Wage (NMW) that all employers must abide by.
- The NMW for a student aged between 18 and 20 is £5.30 per hour; for those 21 and over, the NMW is £6.70 per hour.
- More about working part-time and your employment rights at Directgov.
National Insurance Number
- To work part-time while studying, a National Insurance number is required. This ensures all tax and national insurance contributions made while working are recorded correctly.
- Find out more about National Insurance from HM Revenue & Customs.
Types of student jobs
Getting a part-time job not only provides some extra pocket money, but is also an opportunity to meet other people and extend networks.
There is a range of part-time jobs available for students. Some of the more popular part-time student jobs are in:
- Seasonal jobs
- You can search for part-time jobs here.
- Alternatively, it may be possible to find an internship with a company that is relevant to the subject you are studying. In certain circumstances interns who carry out work for an employer may be entitled to the National Minimum Wage.
Work on campus
- Part-time student work can also be found on campus.
- During the summer, professors may be looking for research assistants, or there might be some work in a university facility such as the library.
- The National Association of Student Employment Services has useful guidance for international students seeking part-time work.
- Volunteering is also an option for the spare time in between study, work and travel. There are plenty of clubs and societies on campus to join and volunteer at events.
Next page: Student Accommodation