- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Lancaster University welcomes over 3,000 international students from around the world. The campus offers a community environment with facilities that include a medical centre, shops, cafés, banks and hairdressers; and nearby, Lancaster city also has a vast array of places to shop and eat, easily accessed by bus. Pre-sessional and foundation programmes are offered by the university; these can help students improve language proficiency and offer academic skills training.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
5,950 international students in 2017–18
- Welcome Week – sometimes known as freshers' week – takes place each year at the start of September or October. It features a range of social and academic events designed to help ease students in to university life. Details about the activities on offer are published on the university website in the run up to welcome week.
English Language Requirements
- IELTS 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component – some courses have higher requirements.
- If students do not meet the minimum English language requirement, they may be able to take a pre-sessional programme over the summer at Lancaster University. Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for International Students
- Lancaster University guarantees a room on campus to all students during the first year, providing they firmly accept the Lancaster offer before the relevant deadline, and apply for accommodation by the specified date.
- The award-winning accommodation includes a wide range of room types. Most residences are self-catering but there are a small number of catered accommodation options. Internet access is provided.
- International students are spread throughout the halls of residence, rather than clustered together, helping students make British friends along with friends from all over the world.
- Accommodation is located on campus, so lecture theatres, the library, coffee shops and restaurants are all only a short walk away.
- Accommodation contracts are usually for a minimum of 40 weeks; a small number of catered rooms are let on a 36-week contract.
- Lancaster has a friendly international team who can help support international students throughout the application stage and on arrival.
- Once at Lancaster, all students have access to The Base, a one-stop student enquiry desk. Staff there can offer guidance on a wide range of personal and academic issues.
- Additional support is offered by the colleges and the Students' Union.
Quick Guides to International Tuition Fees and Finance
- Find and check tuition fees for specific courses on our Course Chooser.
- Get information about fees and funding for international students.
- Get information about fees and funding for EU students.