- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- A top University – Lancaster is highly ranked in each of the UK's major university league tables, including the Complete University Guide.
- Rankings – Lancaster is ranked in the UK Top 10 in the Complete University Guide. The University is also ranked in the top 1% of universities globally.
- Best Value for money – Lancaster has been ranked as the best value for money university in England, and is located in a city ranked within the top 10 'most vibrant' urban centres in 2013.
- International – Lancaster is home to a diverse and cosmopolitan community, with almost 3,000 international students from over 100 different countries.
- 100,000 alumni – Lancaster University has an alumni network of over 100,000 alumni in 148 countries worldwide.
- Best accommodation – our accommodation has won the Best University Halls award in the National Student Housing Survey of 120 UK institutions for last six years running, including the Best Customer Service and Best Moving In Experience awards in 2015.
- 94% – 94% of Lancaster University graduates have gone into work or further study.
- N8 Group – Lancaster University is a member of the N8 Group (which focuses on five areas of research: Ageing and Health; Energy; Molecular Engineering; Regenerative Medicine and Water) a research partnership of the top eight most research intensive universities in the north of England.
- £450 million – more than £450 million has been invested into the campus since 2002, creating new academic facilities, student social facilities and improved teaching space. We have award-winning eco-residences, opened a £10-million Centre for the Creative Arts in 2010 and a £20-million sports centre in 2011.
- 12,000 – we have over 12,000 students across one of the safest campuses in the UK.
- Nine colleges – as one of the few collegiate universities in the UK we welcome each student to one of our colleges on campus. In addition to our eight undergraduate colleges, we have one dedicated to our postgraduate students.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- IELTS 6.5 minimum – some courses have higher requirements.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Most scholarships take the form of a partial tuition fee reduction.
- Scholarships are awarded by academic departments and so students must email the academic department that they are applying to.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- We run a full week of introductory activities to help students settle into life at Lancaster.
- More information can be found in the guide for new students at Lancaster on our website.
Accommodation for International Students
- We have won best university accommodation in the National Student Housing Survey for 6 years in a row and we have a wide range of room types to suit your needs.
- Lancaster University guarantees a room on campus to all students during the first year – all you need to do is firmly accept the Lancaster offer before 15 August.
- To benefit from this guarantee, students must submit their accommodation application form by the specified date.
- Most accommodation is self-catering but we do have a small number of catered accommodation options. There is internet access in all accommodation. Find out more about the different student accommodation offered at Lancaster University.
- International students are spread throughout the halls of residence, rather than clustered together so you will make British friends along with friends from all over the world.
- Accommodation is located on-campus, so lecture theatres, the library, coffee shops and restaurants are all only a short walk away.
- Accommodation contracts are usually for a minimum of 40 weeks although we do have a small number of catered rooms let on a 36 week contract.
Organisations for International Students
- We have over 200 different clubs and societies which are open to all Lancaster students.
- You can continue a hobby you love or try something new! See a full list of the clubs and societies available at Lancaster University Students' Union on our website.
- Our campus in Ghana opened in 2013. This makes Lancaster the first British branch campus in Ghana and will allow students across Africa to access Lancaster's academic excellence in teaching and research on the African continent.
- We have international teaching partnerships in India and Malaysia in which students can study for Lancaster University degrees.