University of Leeds
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Leeds is one of the largest universities in the UK, with more than 34,000 students from over 150 countries, including around 9,000 postgraduates. Its size and international reputation means it can offer one of the widest ranges of academic courses in the UK, with research opportunities in areas as diverse as opera and medical engineering. Taught postgraduate courses are informed and updated by new research and there are opportunities for interdisciplinary working for both taught and research students.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
8,955 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 77%
- Part Time 23%
- UK 50%
- EU 7%
- Other 44%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||55||1040||1095|
|Communication & Media Studies||35||350||390|
|Geography & Environmental Science||140||205||345|
|Accounting & Finance||15||245||255|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||60||75||135|
|Art & Design||25||100||125|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||30||60||90|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||15||65||80|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||30||50||80|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||0||55||55|
|Physics & Astronomy||50||5||55|
|Anatomy & Physiology||45||5||50|
|Librarianship & Information Management||10||35||45|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||10||25||35|
|Theology & Religious Studies||10||15||25|
|Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering||0||25||25|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||0||10||10|
|Agriculture & Forestry||0||5||5|
|East & South Asian Studies||0||5||5|
|Classics & Ancient History||5||5||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Please visit the University of Leeds website for more information on postgraduate funding.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- There are a number of residences just for postgraduate and mature students, ideal for those who want to live in a postgraduate environment.
- University accommodation is guaranteed to all new single postgraduate students paying international fees who apply before the deadline. Please visit the University of Leeds website for more information.