University of Leicester
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Leicester is based in one of the UK’s most diverse cities, and the campus is a thriving international community. Over 25% of full-time, campus-based students come from more than 110 different countries. A range of specialist staff are dedicated to supporting international students.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
4,500 international students in 2016–17
- To help international students settle into life in the UK, the university runs a Welcome Week programme of social activities for all new students beginning their studies at Leicester. This takes place the week before classes start, allowing students to meet others and carry out essential tasks, including opening a bank account, before their course begins.
- At the start of term, support teams are also on hand to help with non-academic and welfare matters.
English Language Requirements
- International students need to demonstrate a good level of written and spoken English.
- The minimum entrance requirements are as follows, other tests may also be accepted: GCSE: B–C, IELTS 6.0–7.5, TOEFL: 80–110.
Accommodation for International Students
- New undergraduate international students are guaranteed a room in university-managed accommodation provided that they apply by the specified deadline in the year in which their degree begins.
- Students can choose from catered halls of residence or self-catered accommodation, with a range of rooms from standard single rooms to en-suite (own bathroom) and deluxe. Halls of residence have free broadband Internet.
- Accommodation ranges from five to 20 minutes' walk from the campus. Oadby Student Village is located 3.5km from the campus and has a shuttle bus provided during term-time – this site primarily accommodates first year students.
- International students are spread throughout the sites, rather than clustered together.
- During Christmas and Easter only one catered residence remains open for students who wish to stay during the vacations; self-catered accommodation remains open throughout. Summer vacation accommodation is also available.
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.