University of Leicester
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- Compact and friendly campus, 15 minutes’ walk from the city centre.
- Leicester is situated almost exactly in the centre of England, 160km north of London (just 1 hour and 10 minutes by train) and within easy reach of many other major cities and places of interest.
- We offer a wide range of catered and self-catered university-managed accommodation to suit all tastes and budgets. Accommodation is guaranteed to all new students who apply before specified deadlines.
- Pre-sessional English language and study skills courses are available to students who need to or would like to improve their English skills before beginning their degree programme.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
The minimum entrance requirements are listed below. Other tests may also be accepted.
- GCSE: B - C
- IELTS 6.0–7.5
- TOEFL: 80–110
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of Leicester President’s Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme provides awards worth 10% of fees for each year of full-time study for new international students joining in 2016.
- Some departments also offer subject-specific scholarships.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- Comprehensive pre-arrival information is sent to students before they join the university.
- We encourage all international students to attend the International Welcome Week in the week before the start of the academic year, which provides an excellent opportunity to settle into a new way of life and meet other students.
Accommodation for International Students
- New undergraduate international students are guaranteed a room in university-managed accommodation provided that they apply by 1 September in the year in which their degree begins.
- Students can choose from catered halls of residence or self-catered accommodation, with a range of rooms from standard single rooms to en suite (own bathroom) and deluxe. International students are spread throughout the sites, rather than clustered together.
- Internet services are provided by an external supplier, with a free 12Mbps service or a premium 100Mbps service (additional fee payable).
- Oadby Student Village primarily accommodates first year students and is located 3.5km from the campus. A regular shuttle bus service operates between the student village and the campus during term time.
- Self-catered accommodation is available for undergraduate students, mostly between 5 and 20 minutes’ walk from the campus.
- Catered halls of residence close during the Christmas and Easter vacations. One catered house in the Oadby Student Village will remain open for students who wish to stay during the vacations.
- Self-catered accommodation is open throughout the Christmas and Easter Vacations. Summer vacation accommodation is also available.
Organisations for International Students
Our international students run number of national societies such as :
- The African and Caribbean Society,
- The Chinese Students and Scholars Society
- The Malaysian Society
- The Turkish Society