- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) offers an exceptional student experience, renowned for its high quality teaching, innovation, student support and ground-breaking research… all within one of the world's most vibrant and multicultural cities, Liverpool.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
1,920 international students in 2017–18
- Where possible, the university provides pre-departure briefings for students within the student's own country, delivered by a member of university staff. If this is not possible, the British Council also offer briefings in-country.
- All international offer holders are invited to download an app called LJMU Campus Connect. This app allows students to connect with other offer holders before arrival to the campus, to build a support network and access important information about life and study in Liverpool. Both staff and current student representatives are on hand to help students with any questions they have about their upcoming studies.
- Welcome week gives a series of talks with information such as on-campus registration, British Residence Permit (BRP) collection and registering with local police.
English Language Requirements
All international applicants must have an internationally recognised English language qualification, such as IELTS or other UKVI approved tests, certified within the last two years for verification purposes. Other English language tests are accepted, providing students attain the required level. Please refer to the university website for details.
The minimum scores required by LJMU are:
- International Foundation Programme: IELTS 4.5.
- Undergraduate degrees: IELTS 6.0.
- Postgraduate degrees: IELTS 6.5.
- Please note, specific course requirements may differ.
Accommodation for International Students
- The wide range of student housing in Liverpool allows the university to offer international students a choice of relatively low-cost but high-quality approved student accommodation in the heart of Liverpool city centre.
- Accommodation comprises individual study bedrooms within shared flats, living alongside other new LJMU students. Most bedrooms also have private en-suite bathrooms and all accommodation is self-catering. LJMU has accommodation that is wheelchair accessible and suitable for students with visual or hearing impairments.
- There is on-site staff support in all accommodation in addition to the university-based student support services.
- Liverpool Student Homes (LSH) is the official student housing agency set up by LJMU, the University of Liverpool and Hope University. They can advise students on suitable housing for families of students.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Scholarships for international students vary from partial to full tuition fee discounts. Some scholarships are awarded automatically upon successful completion of set criteria and others are awarded beyond a competitive application process.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- Ongoing support is provided by a team of international student advisers, if required. This can include English language coaching, international funding grants, counselling services and information on multifaith and Muslim prayer rooms.