Liverpool John Moores University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- Founded in 1823, LJMU is now ranked in the top 600 higher education institutions in the world. (THE World University Ranking 2015–16).
- 93% of undergraduate students are in work or further study within 6 months of graduating, with over 60% securing a graduate entry position (DLHE 2014).
- LJMU is a leading research institution, with 96% of our research rated as international quality or above. This research directly informs what you will study at the university (REF 2014).
- John Lennon from the Beatles studied at our Art School and we work closely with Yoko Ono’s Spirit Foundation to support disadvantaged students in his memory.
- Our home city of Liverpool is rated in the top 10 most exciting cities in the world (Rough Guides 2014).
- Our university community is made up of staff and students from over 100 countries world-wide.
- John Lennon International Airport is just 15 minutes’ drive from Liverpool city centre with flights to 60 destinations, including one-stop connections from Abu Dhabi and Hong Kong via Amsterdam.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- All international applicants must have an internationally recognised English language qualification, such as IELTS (International English Language Testing Service) or TOEFL.
- English language qualification must have been certified within the last two years for verification purposes.
- LJMU will accept other UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) recognised English language tests providing you attain the appropriate level.
- Minimum scores required by LJMU, ( although specific course requirements may differ) – IELTS: International Foundation Programme 4.5; Undergraduate degrees 6.0.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Undergraduate scholarships are available to exceptional new students joining the university in 2016–17, including students progressing from the LJMU International Study Centre. The scholarship takes the form of a £6,000 first year tuition fee waiver.
- English for Undergraduate Studies bursary: bursaries are available if you need to increase your IELTS score by 0.5 in order to enrol on your chosen undergraduate degree.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- All students sent step-by-step arrival guide offering detailed advice.
- University staff also hold pre-departure briefings in several countries, providing guidance to students in making preparations and answering questions and concerns.
- LJMU runs a free Meet and Greet service from numerous airports before the start of each academic year.
Accommodation for International Students
- The wide range of student housing in Liverpool means that we can offer international students a choice of relatively low cost but high quality approved student accommodation right in the heart of Liverpool city centre.
- Accommodation consists of individual study bedrooms within shared flats where you will live alongside other new LJMU students.
- Most bedrooms also have private en-suite bathrooms and all accommodation is all self-catering.
- On-site staff support in all accommodation in addition to LJMU’s university-based student support services.
- Accommodation available that is wheelchair accessible and suitable for students with visual or hearing impairments.
- Liverpool Student Homes (LSH) is the official student housing agency set up by LJMU, the University of Liverpool and Hope University and can advise students on the type and availability of private houses and flats which are available to rent within the city and which are owned by registered landlords.