Liverpool John Moores University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) offers an exceptional student experience, renowned for its high quality teaching, innovation, student support and ground-breaking research… all within one of the world's most vibrant and multicultural cities, Liverpool.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
1,370 international students in 2016–17
- Where possible, the university provides pre-departure briefings for students within the student's own country, delivered by a member of university staff. If this is not possible, the British Council also offer briefings in-country.
- Welcome week gives a series of talks with information such as on-campus registration, British Residence Permit (BRP) collection and registering with local police.
- Ongoing support is provided by a team of international student advisers, if required. This can include English language coaching, international funding grants, counselling services and information on multifaith and Muslim prayer rooms.
English Language RequirementsAll international applicants must have an internationally recognised English language qualification, such as IELTS or other UKVI approved tests, certified within the last two years for verification purposes. The university will accept other English language tests providing students attain the required level; please refer to the university website for details.
The minimum scores required by LJMU are:
- International Foundation Programme IELTS 4.5;
- Undergraduate degrees IELTS 6.0;
- Postgraduate degrees IELTS 6.5.
- Please note, specific course requirements may differ.
Accommodation for International Students
- The wide range of student housing in Liverpool allows the university to offer international students a choice of relatively low cost but high quality approved student accommodation right in the heart of Liverpool city centre.
- Accommodation comprises individual study bedrooms within shared flats, living alongside other new LJMU students. Most bedrooms also have private en-suite bathrooms and all accommodation is self-catering.
- There is on-site staff support in all accommodation in addition to the university-based student support services.
- LJMU has accommodation that is wheelchair accessible and suitable for students with visual or hearing impairments.
- Liverpool Student Homes (LSH) is the official student housing agency set up by LJMU, the University of Liverpool and Hope University. They can advise students on suitable housing for families of students.
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.