University of Liverpool
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 4.07 / 5.00
- 3.06 / 4.00
- 0.70 / 1.00
- 76.5 / 100.0
- 76.7 / 100.0
- 90.5 / 100.0
Ranked in the top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide, Liverpool is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of the UK’s leading research universities. The university has 33,000 students, 7,500 of whom travel from all over the world to study here, and 211,000 alumni in 171 countries. The university is the largest provider of 100% online postgraduate degree courses in Europe with over 10,000 students studying for Liverpool degrees around the world.
- Please refer to the university for details.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Bronze is awarded to institutions that deliver teaching, learning and outcomes for their students that meet "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
- Non-clinical courses (both undergraduate and postgraduate) are modular, enabling students to choose from a wide choice of options.
- Students can design a degree that’s tailored to their specific interests, academic strengths and career aspirations via the Honours Select programme in Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Many programmes include the opportunity to spend a year in industry.
- The university's extensive Study Abroad options now include a the opportunity to attend the university's fully English speaking partner, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) in China.
Student Services and Facilities
- Liverpool was the first Russell Group university to provide weekday 24-hour library opening throughout the academic year.
- 2 libraries, the Harold Cohen and the Syndey Jones, house over 1.9 million books, around 44,000 e-journals and provide online access to most major databases. There are also over 500,000 contemporary e-books including academic e-books, reports and conference proceedings, and over 317,000 digitised printed books. Extensive special collections include the largest Science Fiction collection in Europe, plus rare books and manuscripts.
- Students have 24/7 access on- or off-campus to the library catalogue, electronic resources, departmental programme notes posted online, and a fantastic array of learning materials. Mobile Campus and Mobile Learn apps also give students access to resources.
- IT facilities include over 2,000 computers across campus plus high-speed Wi-Fi. Most computers are in the 2 libraries and are available 24/7 but there are also computer centres in most buildings across campus.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- The Guild of Students (Liverpool's name for the Students' Union) came top in the 2016 NUS awards; it is a student-led, student-focused, not-for-profit organization with the principles of representation, democracy and informed campaigning at its heart.
- Gigs, food, shops, support services and chill out spaces are all found in the guild building. There are 200 student-run societies along with a wide range of volunteering projects and student-staff roles. Students can take part in Give it a Go trips or enjoy live music gigs.
- Whether students need help to settle in or support during their studies, the Guild is there for them to provide a helpful friendly service.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- As a busy and thriving city, Liverpool has many part-time jobs ideal for students. The availability of part-time work is one of the reasons why it is the 2nd most cost-effective student city in the UK.
- Typical student vacancies can be found in hospitality, events, retail and administration.
- The Careers and Employability Service advertises vacancies for students on its dedicated jobs board, and hosts specific part-time jobs fairs throughout the year.
- The award-winning Careers and Employability Service helps students make the most of their time at university by providing a range of expert advice and information – 9 out of 10 students use the service, making it one of the most popular and best-used amongst the UK’s top universities.
- Liverpool was ranked in the top 15 UK universities targeted by UK employers in the latest Global Employability University Survey; 89.9% of students are employed or in further education within 6 months of graduating.
- My Liverpool is an online portal where students can search for extra-curricular activities to complement their studies and develop the skills needed to increase their employability.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 79%
- Postgraduate 21%
Mode of study
- Full Time 90%
- Part Time 10%
Where students come from
- UK 70%
- EU 3%
- Other 27%
- Male 46%
- Female 54%
- One of the first civic universities, Liverpool's history dates back to 1881.
- The college (as it was then) attracted pioneers including Professor Oliver Lodge who made the world's first public radio transmission in 1894 and demonstrated the first surgical use of x-rays two years later. Similar pioneering work has led to 9 Nobel Laureates for alumni of the university.
- Its expanding focus has led to the establishment of a university in Suzhou near Shanghai, in partnership with Xi’an Jiaotong University, as well as a campus in London.
- Tung Chee-hwa – the first Chief Executive of Hong Kong, now Vice-Chairman of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference.
- Dame Stella Rimington – former Director General of the UK’s national Security Service, MI5.
- Rodney Chase CBE – former Group Chief Executive of BP now on the Board of Directors at Hess Corp. and Tesoro Corp.
- Sir Maurice Flanagan KBE– was the founding CEO of Emirates and executive vice-chairman of The Emirates Group.
- Sir Robin Saxby – former Chairman of ARM Holdings, now supporting business start-ups.
- Dr Sanjay Jha – former CEO and Chairman of Motorola Motability, now CEO of GlobalFoundries.
- Lewis Booth – former Executive Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer of Ford Motor Company, now on the Board of Directors for Rolls Royce.
- Keith Williams – former Executive Chairman of British Airways, non-executive director and deputy chairman of John Lewis and on the board of Aviva plc.
- Philip Clarke – former Chief Executive of Tesco.
- Colin Deverell Smith OBE – Chairman of Poundland Holdings Ltd, former Chief Executive of Safeway.
|Address||University of Liverpool