University of Liverpool
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- A member of the Russell Group – the top 24 major research-intensive institutions in the UK.
- Top 1% of universities worldwide for internationally recognised research.
- Ranked 20th in the UK’s Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 with 7 subjects in the top 10.
- 81% of the university’s research is ranked in the highest categories of 4* (world leading) and 3 * (internationally excellent).
- Rich heritage stretching back to 1881, we are the original civic 'redbrick' university.
- Associated with 9 Nobel prize winners.
- The only UK university with full clinical education coverage spanning: Biosciences, Clinical Medicine, Health Sciences, Dentistry, Veterinary Science and Tropical Medicine.
- Pioneering global partnerships with, Liverpool International College, Xi’an Jiaotong; Liverpool University in China and HELP; University College Malaysia and Laureate Online Education.
- A friendly, supportive and inspiring student experience. Our student:staff ratio is 8th best in the Russel Group.
- Ranked joint 9–17 in the UK (Academic Ranking of World Universities, Shanghai Jiaotong University’s Institute of Education).
- A global university located in the heart of two world-class cities, Liverpool and London.
- The university is investing £600m in its facilities over the next ten years to ensure we continue to meet the expectations and needs of our students, many of these projects are already well underway.
- Our Careers and Employability service is ranked as one of the best in UK for engaging with students.
- Competitive tuition fees and one of the most cost–effective student cities in the UK.
- Personalised and supported entrance into the UK for international students.
- London campus – our new campus in London offers a suite of vocationally focused postgraduate programmes with excellent links to the professions and industry.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- All students applying to the University of Liverpool must demonstrate that they are competent in the use of the English language and satisfy the University’s requirements. The qualifications on our undergraduate and postgraduate pages are accepted by the university and are considered to satisfy a minimum of CEFR B2 level in each component (speaking, writing, listening and reading). This is the minimum level acceptable for degree level study in order to secure a visa to enter the UK via Tier 4.
- For more information about the university's responsibility for assessing English Language ability, download our Liverpool English vouching document.
- Please be advised that TOEFL is no longer classified by UK Visas and Immigration as a Secure English Language Test (SELT). However, at the current time, the university is continuing to accept TOEFL, at the required level, for entry onto undergraduate and postgraduate academic programmes.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- For the very latest on our extensive range of scholarships and bursaries please visit our website.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- Pre-Departure Briefings – offer holders in Liverpool’s most popular countries are visited by the International Recruitment Team. The purpose of these visits is to answer questions from offer holders face-to-face. In smaller countries this service is often provided through a webinar, rather than an actual visit.
- Liverpool Connect – current admissions teams staff and/or international students telephone international offer holders to answer any questions they have about their offer and more widely about academic and student life in Liverpool.
- Meet and greet service – another free service - international students are collected at Manchester Airport and transferred to their halls of residence on the University of Liverpool Campus. This service is available for 3 days before the start of term to ensure that students are on campus in time for the International Support Team's Welcome Programme. Offer holders are emailed about this service.
- Welcome Programme for International Students – this event for all new international students is organised by the International Support Team and is highly recommended. Specialist talks, information stands, tours of the campus and the city and early registration procedures help students to settle into campus life. Throughout the week, students have the opportunity to get involved in various social activities including events such as British film nights and society gatherings. All of these events are a great way for students to make new friends and practice English from the start of term.
Accommodation for International Students
- If you're an international undergraduate student, we guarantee to find you a place in university accommodation if you have accepted a conditional or unconditional offer from us as your firm choice (i.e. you are CF or UF at the University of Liverpool); you must apply for accommodation by 31 August.
- We're usually able to offer accommodation to the majority of students who have an Insurance Offer (CI) or who come through Clearing.
- The university has more than 4,500 student rooms, most of which are reserved for first year undergraduates who are living away from home for the first time. Both catered and self-catering accommodation is available. All rooms have a high speed internet facility which connects to the university file stores and online teaching modules.
- The university offers accommodation for international students across a number of different sites including our city centre on-campus accommodation and our Student Villages approximately 3 miles from our campus.
- Various contracts are available ranging from 39 weeks to 51 weeks. We can accommodate students who wish to stay over the holiday period. Wherever possible, students will stay in their current room. All accommodation over this period is self-catered.
Organisations for International Students
- A myriad of societies, clubs and associations are available.
- Further information is available on the website.
- Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international university run in partnership between the University of Liverpool and Xi'an Jiaotong University in China.