- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- Our academic departments have exceptionally strong links with industrial companies, which result in a high proportion of Loughborough undergraduates spending a year of their courses on paid internships.
- For its research, Loughborough belongs in the premier league of UK universities, ranking 9th in England and 14th in the UK for research intensity.
- The superb sports facilities are well used by international students, for whom the My Lifestyle fitness programme is especially popular.
- In September 2015 began teaching at Loughborough University’s new London campus, located on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
- Loughborough University London provides students with a unique study environment, strong links to local employers and innovative new Masters programmes in Entrepreneurship, Digital Technologies, Design and Sport Business.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- Loughborough University’s International web pages contain a list of acceptable English language qualifications, among which IELTS is the one that is most commonly taken by our international applicants.
- An overall IELTS score of 6.5 with at least 6.0 per test band is our standard requirement, although certain courses ask for more.
- Pre-sessional English courses of varying lengths may be offered to students whose test scores fall below the standard level for entry.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Loughborough University invests more than £1m each year in scholarships and bursaries for undergraduate and postgraduate international students.
- We also have strong partnerships with external providers of Masters scholarships, such as the British government’s Chevening scheme, the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships and the Santander Bank awards.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- Frequent internet chat and Skype events allow our International Office team to communicate directly with prospective students well before the beginning of their studies. These staff members also visit a lot of countries around the world, which gives them many opportunities to assist enquirers and applicants, perhaps at education exhibitions or in Loughborough University representatives’ offices in the students’ home cities.
- A free coach service is available on certain days in the summer to bring new international students from London Heathrow to Loughborough.
- The International Office arranges welcome and induction events for all new international students, while each academic department conducts an orientation for all of its new students, undergraduate or postgraduate. A full Welcome Week programme can also be booked on request by international students, immediately before the start of the academic year.
Accommodation for International Students
- The university campus is a convenient, friendly and secure place to live and the halls of residence go to great lengths to ensure that international students are made to feel welcome and helped to settle in there.
- Non-EU international students are guaranteed hall accommodation within the same hall for any two years of their undergraduate study.
- The halls give good value for money. The annual rent for a self-catering postgraduate room may be as little as £4,500. In addition, Loughborough town has an ample supply of rooms to rent in private houses and halls of residence, all within easy reach of the campus.
Organisations for International Students
- Many national student societies have membership of the Students Union, which organises frequent social and cultural events for international students. These include visits to different parts of the UK, parties and an annual International Day, which is acknowledged to be a highlight of the university year.
- Participation in the Students Union’s diverse volunteering activities and its numerous clubs for sports and special interests helps international and British students to integrate together well. Loughborough students often praise the strong sense that they have of belonging within a true community.
- The Careers and Employability Centre has a specialist careers advisor for international students.