Manchester Metropolitan University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- A proud history of higher education in Manchester and Cheshire since 1824.
- Ranked top 20 in the UK in a number of subject areas according to the Complete University Guide 2015.
- Manchester Met is a university in the global top 3%.
- 85% research impact rated as world-leading or internationally excellent.
- 94% of graduates go straight into employment or further study within six months of graduating.
- There are more than 3,000 international students from 120 countries.
- Sandwich years and placement opportunities available.
- Over 70 professional bodies accredit our courses.
- Two great locations: our city centre Manchester campus and our Cheshire campus in Crewe.
- Manchester is listed in the Lonely Planet’s ‘top ten cities to visit in 2016’.
- Business School accredited by AACSB – the international hallmark of excellence in business education.
- Over 260,000 graduates in our global alumni community.
- Pre-sessional English Language Courses and free English Language Support whilst studying at the University.
- Over 150 clubs and societies covering a range of sports, hobbies and interests.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- The level of English we need depends on the course/qualification you want to study. For most of our undergraduate courses you need to reach IELTS 6.0 or above with no less than 5.5 in any component. For most of our postgraduate courses you need to reach IELTS 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any section for taught masters and no less than 6.0 in any section for postgraduate research.
- The English language entry requirements detailed here are for guidance only, some courses will have a higher English language requirement.
- If you would like to improve your English before you start your course we can help. There are courses in general and academic English to help you reach the level of English you need.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarships. In 2016, the university awarded more than £200,000 to new international students. These prestigious scholarships are awarded to students who can demonstrate good academic merit and strong motivation to study at the university.
- Other University Scholarships. Manchester Met provides a range of university-wide undergraduate and postgraduate funding which international students are able to apply for.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- The university provides pre-arrival support and information through communications from the International Office, including webinars, virtual open days and live chats with academic and support staff.
- Current international students telephone international student offer-holders to answer any questions about life in the UK or at the University.
- The Welcome programme provides useful information about enrolment in the university and living in the UK. The programme also includes social activities to help you meet other international students.
- The university offers an Airport Welcome Service that collects students from Manchester Airport and takes them to their halls of residence.
Accommodation for International Students
- All international students are guaranteed accommodation in university student halls as long as you are in your first year of study and apply before the August deadline.
- Halls of residence are set on or close to our campuses, near local amenities, including shops and food outlets.
- To help you feel safe in your new home, each residence has a team who are available during the day, evenings and weekends to offer 24-hour security, help and advice.
Organisations for International Students
- Our Students’ Union provides a wide range of services, activities and opportunities to offer the best possible student experience.
- You automatically become a member of The Union after enrolling at the university.
- The Union offers more than 150 clubs and societies.
- On completion of your degree, students can register with the MMU Alumni Association to remain in contact with the university and enjoy various benefits.