Pre-Arrival and Welcome Arrangements

  • Studying at Manchester may be an international student’s first experience of the UK. So, to help them prepare for their arrival, we send them a step-by-step guide offering detailed advice. University staff also deliver pre-departure briefings, either in applicants' countries or via a webinar presentation, providing further guidance and allowing students to ask specific questions or raise any concerns they may have.
  • At the beginning of the academic year, in September, the university run a free coach shuttle service between Manchester Airport and all university accommodation sites.
  • To help international students settle in during their first few days in Manchester, the university offers a comprehensive Orientation programme to provide valuable information on the practicalities of living and studying in Manchester, as well as giving an opportunity to meet other students. This programme runs alongside the main Welcome events at the university to ensure that our international students receive plenty of support to integrate and make friends with the UK student population.
  • All international students have their own dedicated academic and personal advisers. They can access the full range of support offered by the Student Services Centre, including a team of designated advisers authorised by the UK government to provide assistance on student immigration matters.

English Language Requirements

  • Evidence of English language proficiency is required for all courses at the university and requirements vary depending on the programme of study. Please take a look at the details within each course profile on the university's website for further information.
  • Registered students of the university are able to attend support classes in academic English free of charge.

Accommodation for International Students

  • All international students are guaranteed a place in university-owned accommodation for the duration of their studies, providing they are coming to university alone, and have submitted an application for accommodation by 31 August of the year of entry.
  • The university has a range of self-catered or catered, en suite or shared facilities, with mixed or single-sex halls available. Free Internet access is provided.
  • There are more than 8,000 accommodation places available, almost all of which are within two or three miles from the university campus. There are three locations for accommodation: City, with all facilities such as the libraries and Students’ Union on the doorstep; Victoria Park, situated between the city and Fallowfield, meaning halls here are ideally placed for both academic and social activities; and Fallowfield, which is two miles south of the city centre. With a vibrant and diverse local community, Fallowfield is a popular suburb.
  • Most halls are situated on the main bus route to the University and city centre, with frequent services to each.
  • Students do not have to move out (or move their belongings) during vacations – the undergraduate rooms that are let on a 40-week basis (from September through to June) are not used during the Christmas and Easter vacations.
  • Costs vary depending on whether halls are catered or self-catered, standard or en suite.
  • If students prefer not to live in a university hall, there is a large supply of private accommodation for rent in and around the city of Manchester. Manchester Student Homes is an agency that can help students locate a property or a room in a shared house either before or upon arrival.

Tuition Fees

The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.

Type of Course Undergraduate Taught Postgraduate
Classroom £17,000 £17,000
Mixed £21,000 £21,000
Laboratory £21,000 £21,000
Clinical - £38,000
Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.

What Do International Students Study?